The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW to mixer to DAW
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

DAW to mixer to DAW

I have a MOTU M2 soundcard (2 in, 2 out) and a Mackie 1202 VLZ4.

My studio partner has an outboard compressor I want to use on samples from the computer. I want to play the time stretched samples from Ableton into the mixer, through to the compressor and then feed the compressed result back into Ableton.

Last try I tried to do this with his Mackie mixer I had feedback from creating a loop in the signal path (I think). I’m wondering how I can acomplish this without having feedback.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplemann View Post
I had feedback from creating a loop in the signal path (I think).
Don't send the incomming signal out again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Then how do I record it back into ableton?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Select inputs of your AI in your DAW (don't monitor).
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I want to hear what effect the compressor is having on the audio when it comes back in. How would I do that if I need to feed the audio to the mixer, then back into my interface and into ableton monitored so I can hear what’s happening?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplemann View Post
I want to hear what effect the compressor is having on the audio when it comes back in. How would I do that if I need to feed the audio to the mixer, then back into my interface and into ableton monitored so I can hear what’s happening?
I do not know your specifics on routing, but have you tried muting the track you are sending out and just monitoring the sound coming back in that is effected by the effects you are processing it thorough?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I do not know your specifics on routing, but have you tried muting the track you are sending out and just monitoring the sound coming back in that is effected by the effects you are processing it thorough?
I have and it’s not working, I’m still getting feedback. I even tried to use a 3.5m cable from my laptop to my Mackie Mixer, and just use my audio card as in input into a unmonitored track in ableton. I then plugged headphones directly into my mixer in the hope I’d be able to hear the effected signal but it was just feedback. Any ideas?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search