The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PANNING/EXPORT for Mixing Questions
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

PANNING/EXPORT for Mixing Questions

Hi-

I work in Ableton which uses interleaved mono files and level panning by default.

My question is a general one: How should I approach exporting panned tracks for mixing?

Suppose I have a pseudo stereo synth patch and a pseudo stereo bell pad: within my session I have them hard panned opposite LR ( using the default level panning). The reason for using the level panning is to essentially make the track mono ( and ignore the fake stereo info) and then to place it on the side I want it.

This is working for me fine within the session but I am stumbling with how to approach an export:

1) Simply export as is and let the ME deal with it a half empty stereo track
2) Bypass the panning but note the pan position to give the ME the full track

Also preferably- Could I combine the(L) synth and (R) bells into one new stereo track without losing flexibility ?+

IN other words is there any disadvantage to sending an already panned track if I don't want the "stereo information" any way. Id want the mix engineer to have final say over panning and wouldn't want to their hands, and I feel (1) would be fine in this regard though Ive obviously overthought it and am making things more complicated in my mind!

Thanks for any input from any one who can make sense out of this!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If it were me I would send the stereo track, and if the person receiving it wanted to modify it, then so be it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I want the mix engineer to have final say over panning
no matter how you treat it, export the track as mono, if its one channel and export the track as stereo if it has 2 channels in it.

Example: No one wants to deal with a stereo track with the left or right channel blank. Send that one as mono, because its only one channel.
Quote:
IN other words is there any disadvantage to sending an already panned track
You are not mixing it, so do not worry about panning. Just record it and send it off and write your notes to the engineer.

Words to live by:
If you record a mono source, keep it as mono. If you record a stereo source, keep it as stereo
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherspud View Post
Hi-

I work in Ableton which uses interleaved mono files and level panning by default.

My question is a general one: How should I approach exporting panned tracks for mixing?

Suppose I have a pseudo stereo synth patch and a pseudo stereo bell pad: within my session I have them hard panned opposite LR ( using the default level panning). The reason for using the level panning is to essentially make the track mono ( and ignore the fake stereo info) and then to place it on the side I want it.

This is working for me fine within the session but I am stumbling with how to approach an export:

Also preferably- Could I combine the(L) synth and (R) bells into one new stereo track without losing flexibility ?+

IN other words is there any disadvantage to sending an already panned track if I don't want the "stereo information" any way. Id want the mix engineer to have final say over panning and wouldn't want to their hands, and I feel (1) would be fine in this regard though Ive obviously overthought it and am making things more complicated in my mind!

Thanks for any input from any one who can make sense out of this!
I'd assume that if you have a stereo interleaved file which has independent synths on each one of the two tracks, of the stereo file, then if you have panned them centre in any way, you would then have a mixed mono signal contained in a stereo interleaved fie. if I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly that is.

if so, you might want to split that stereo file into two mono files imo. rather than using one stereo file for two sounds.
in future it might be better to use mono files for those.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search