The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Song sounded half step flat on radio
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Song sounded half step flat on radio

Hello people, sorry if this is the wrong section. I looked but didn´t find anything related to this issue. Someone played one of my recordings on a radio show (or whatever you wanna call it) on mixcloud and my song sounded half step flat!!! The file that I sent was an mp3 (320, 44100). Anybody?? Thanks in advance
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure you didn't export a 48kHz file as 44.1kHz?
Sounds like a SR mismatch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Could be a sample rate issue, but they could have slowed the track down, too. Slowing down without preserving pitch will cause the track to be lower in pitch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Sure you didn't export a 48kHz file as 44.1kHz?
Sounds like a SR mismatch.
SR inmediately came to mind but no. I play that exact same file and it sounds fine. I even imported the mp3 into soundforge, pro tools and sounds fine as well
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I just checked the other songs that were played on the program....half of them sounded half step down as well (same speed as original) and one even sounded half step up, while the rest were on the right key....beats me...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Typical sample rate mismatch between 44.1 and 48 usually results in about a step and a half. A half-step is kind of small for that. Is the only the pitch changed or is the song slowed down as well? If you have a recording of the show, you could time the songs to see if they are slowed down, or just pitch shifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmanifest1
I play that exact same file and it sounds fine. I even imported the mp3 into soundforge, pro tools and sounds fine as well
Well you don't know it's the "exact same file". It's the same file you sent, but it may not be the same file he got, and it obviously wasn't the same file he played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmanifest1
I just checked the other songs that were played on the program....half of them sounded half step down as well (same speed as original) and one even sounded half step up, while the rest were on the right key....beats me.

other songs that you made?

Why not ask the host of the show? Is it possible that the host of the show takes it upon himself to "improve" people's submissions? Maybe he says: this song is too high, I think it would be better in D flat?

Maybe he is altering the pitches to get everything playing at 432Hz = 'A' Reference pitch. You know, to promote spiritual enlightenment and World Peace.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Typical sample rate mismatch between 44.1 and 48 usually results in about a step and a half. A half-step is kind of small for that. Is the only the pitch changed or is the song slowed down as well? If you have a recording of the show, you could time the songs to see if they are slowed down, or just pitch shifted?

other songs that you made?

Why not ask the host of the show? Is it possible that the host of the show takes it upon himself to "improve" people's submissions? Maybe he says: this song is too high, I think it would be better in D flat?

Maybe he is altering the pitches to get everything playing at 432Hz = 'A' Reference pitch. You know, to promote spiritual enlightenment and World Peace.

It didn´t sound slowed down, but I didn´t exactly time it, I slowed it down myself to compare, it was at the same speed.

No, other songs that were played on the same episode, from other artists. I compared them to youtube and spotify versions of them and sounded flat as well, and one of them was half step up. I will defenitely talk to the host!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search