The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam 40x - Loopy HD - Volca
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Tascam 40x - Loopy HD - Volca

Alright, my first post...and scrolling down through the forum menu this feels like the right place.
So what do I got going on?
I love music...I've sucked at it for a long time. making it, understanding it.
But have somehow I've done well here and there.
Started as a DJ, then a scratcher, to drum machines (Tr-8, Volca, Etc), to drumming on a Roland SPD pad. Lighty tried to learn keys years ago...Now with melodics, I have some momentum.

My brain workstation to be was the Korg Electribe 2. I thought this machine would do live looping. Like loopy HD. Sadly no.

I came across Loopy HD last year. Wow! Fun, really fun! I immediately got an irig to play into it.
Yep, this is pretty good. Oh but wait...When solo-ing tracks I can hear every other track that was playing before it. Just a slight bleed. But well enough to hear.

Message to irig: The reply is along the lines of "You need irig pro hd."

I needed a camera mic, and I saw that the Tascam Dr 40x was also an audio interface. Cool, I'll try that.

Today...
I went for a walk and thought about how I would make a song.
I've been mapping things out well, and took notes while I was out and about. This will work! And it will be an easy set up.
Start with some beats from the Volca Sample to Tascam to Ipad (Loopy hd) and onward.
Honestly such a mess of cords.
This should take, maybe 10 minutes to set it up.
Naaah, 10 minutes in, got the sound going. But the pesky ipad microphone won't turn off. Google search.
https://forum.loopyapp.com/discussio...-microphone/p1

Listening to Micheals replies..irk...I remember reading them before too. He's just not getting it.
Well, somehow the microphone turned off. I might have turned the mic off in the Ipad preferences, and then when I went back into the loopy app my volca signal was no longer there...Back into iPad preferences and mic back on. The Ipad mic is off.

Now The volca doesn't sound fully right, a clouded interference from the wrong settings...I fiddle, I fiddle and I got it!
Ohhh those kicks sound good!
Snare over the metronome...Now onto the kicks. They sound really good!
Loop finished and on the first play, and it's blistering loud.
I'll just take the input level down and test monitor adjust it.
Not amazing but it should work.

This is Tascam is a bit too much, I need to lay down. I take my computer with me and search what I can on the Tascam record features (Just to note I've done this a few times).

Well, it looks like the sounds levels you see coming in somehow aren't your monitoring levels. You have to press the record button once for the record standby to see the levels. Well, that works...Bring it back to the desk. Plug it all back in.
Except for my headphones. That one took 2 minutes to catch. I've been through a lot already it's understandable.
A touch of fiddling, press record and "No card". yeah, there's a card, I'll just adjust it. Ok that's not working, I'll try another card. Nope.

I think I needed a break after this. I went and laid down outside on the front porch where it's dry. I needed to breathe. Chest was tightening up.
I wonder if old me would have pitched that Tascam at this point.

The search for "Tascam Dr 40X No Card" was a bit too vast.

Came back in...Laid down...And thought. Maybe if I reset to factory settings.
Google how to reset the settings.
And back to it.
After remembering what fiddles I did. Again... No go "no card".

Step away...But then somehow lighten up.

I'll just roughly monitor it like how I was going to do before.
Some weird sound coming from somewhere.
I'm over it.

Thoughts?...I need help. I need these settings noted. Being that I don't know what I'm doing It's hard to take note of the settings.

I basically need someone to help me set it up. Give me a list so I can make this set up happen within 5 minutes and then get to actually playing music.
Where would you go for this type of help?
The first thought would be craigslist community, second thought would be the music store that has the music school.

My next thought was make a post in here. It's almost to broad of a subject to get help with in here.

Though I was meaning to make a post along the lines of what machine would be proper for me.

I really just want an all in one unit to make music.
A loopy HD machine (Sampler/looper) with effects would be my dream.
The Roland MC 707 looked like it could be it. But it's not, no live instrument looping. Guy at Perfect Circuit recommended the Elektron Digitakt.
Made a note to get a demo at the local music store. Guy had no idea how to work it.

I will mention that I did pick up the akai apc40 to pretty much do the same thing that loopy hd does. I bought them at the same time. Loopy for practice and apc40 to get deeper with effects on loops.
I did try one time but the latency from the turntable to ableton.
Is this something that can work with a MacBook pro?

With slight hype of the SP-2400...I've been seeing how the SP-1200 works.
It almost seems the closest.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search