The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
V small shock from mic - Grounding issue ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

V small shock from mic - Grounding issue ?

Hello I have a pretty simple setup, which I use at home and on location: Macbook Pro Audient id22 (as slave) Audient ASP800 (used as master, mounted in a 2u rack - bought as B-stock) And a few microphones.

I have noticed recently that the microphones have a small electric charge I can feel on my lips when plugged in the ASP800. If I touch the id22 with one hand and stick my lips against the grid of an SM58, I can feel a very, very small voltage. So small it's more a tingling sensation.

The only thing plugged in the mains are the 2 audient interfaces (macbook is on battery for this experiment).

Is this something I should be worried about ? How could I track down what is causing the problem ? Could it possibly get worse under certain conditions ? I certainly do not want to hurt anyone using this equipment.

Thanks in advance
Old 3 weeks ago
It sounds or should i say 'it feels' like a grounding issue. Make sure your equipment is properly grounded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search