The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't get rid of background hiss with usb microphone in Logic Pro
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can't get rid of background hiss with usb microphone in Logic Pro

Help!

I am trying to record vocals on my projects in Logic Pro X. I have two usb condenser microphones. The first is a CAD U-37 and the other is the Blue Yeti.

The Blue Yeti sounds great when I record my guitar, and I'm happy with that, but the sound isn't great for vocals. The CAD has a much nicer tone, so I want to use that, BUT it has this annoying background hiss that I can't seem to get rid of.

Right now I'm getting semi-decent recordings by turning down the volume, like way, way down. The track is set to -80.0db. I've turned my computer's system settings for the CAD U-37's volume as low as it will go. This seems to help, but does not eliminate the hiss. It's just a "sshhhh" sound in the background of my vocal. Same thing happens when I record the guitar with the CAD U-37. I'm tempted to think it's room noise, but would I get room noise even while I'm turning the volume down so low?

Also, there is no hiss present with the Yeti mic, at all, for either guitar or vocals. I can get a very clean vocal on the Yeti. But it sounds flat, and almost tinny. It's just not a nice mic for singing, so I want to get the CAD working.

If anyone else has had this problem, or has any ideas, I'd be so grateful!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It's just a "sshhhh" sound in the background of my vocal. Same thing happens when I record the guitar with the CAD U-37. I'm tempted to think it's room noise, but would I get room noise even while I'm turning the volume down so low?
Question, Does this noise interfere with your recorded sound in the context of the mix or are you just hearing your normal signal to nose ratio for your equipment.

Not a question, but my opinion: I'm not a fan of USB mics. Get a LDC for vocals (large diaphragm condenser)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Question, Does this noise interfere with your recorded sound in the context of the mix or are you just hearing your normal signal to nose ratio for your equipment.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this question correctly, but the noise is isolated only to the vocal track and increases and decreases along with the recorded vocal as I raise / lower the volume. This is true during recording and also after the track is recorded. When I place the track into the context of the mix, I can mask the noise with other sounds (i.e. if I were to add an analog bass synth sound under the vocal you wouldn't hear the hiss at all, just the vocal. But recently I've been trying to record acoustic versions of our songs, and the hiss is more apparent.)

Quote:
Not a question, but my opinion: I'm not a fan of USB mics. Get a LDC for vocals (large diaphragm condenser)
Thanks, this is helpful info. I've been thinking & doing research on this topic. I'd like to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and a mic to replace my current usb setup. I'm concerned (because of this hiss issue) that I'll have the same problem with another microphone. If it's room noise, for example, and I invest in a non-usb condenser mic, how do I know the same thing won't happen?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

First, laptop or a desktop? If laptop, have you tried unplugging it and running off battery? I had a hum issue at one point and that made it disappear. That was the free fix.

If that doesn't work, FWIW, interface mics use balanced XLR cables, which act to minimize hum.

My local GC recently put up a mic station that you put on headphones and can "listen" to the mic in action - maybe a place near you also does? Most seem to have mics laid out for display - ask them to hook one or two up and see how they sound. Additionally, if you buy at a big store (like GC), you can return if you don't like it within - I am not sure - 30 or 45 days? Plenty of time to see if it's working for you.

Also, see if they price match. I have shaved significant amounts off the bill at times just by doing a quick cross reference with Amazon, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, etc.. and showing the salesperson a lower price on my cell.

WARNING: And if the box looks like it has already been opened (especially anything with software, like an interface) ask for an unopened box, or all the software might already be claimed, or pieces (usb cable, drivers, connectors, mic clips, manual, etc...) might be missing.

Random thoughts based on my experience. I hope this helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Also, your Yeti is a USB Condenser, if I am not mistaken. It doesn't have the issue, right?

I would say your issue might be the hiss mic.

I am also not a fan of USB mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

And further - Logic means you are on a MAC, which is class compliant. Meaning you don't have to install anything (drivers, etc...) to use an interface. Meaning if you try and don't like you didn't crap up your computer with drivers or have to uninstall anything or claim any software that the next person will have a hard time claiming. Although I am not sure that they had much other than drivers. I also use Logic.

I have a Behringer U-Phoria 404HD and basically just connected it to my Mac with the included USB cord and everything was working. No issues since. They also have a less input model cheaper...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Done now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
And further - Logic means you are on a MAC, which is class compliant. Meaning you don't have to install anything (drivers, etc...) to use an interface. Meaning if you try and don't like you didn't crap up your computer with drivers or have to uninstall anything or claim any software that the next person will have a hard time claiming. Although I am not sure that they had much other than drivers. I also use Logic.

I have a Behringer U-Phoria 404HD and basically just connected it to my Mac with the included USB cord and everything was working. No issues since. They also have a less input model cheaper...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Done now.

Thanks so much for your help. I do have a laptop, and I tried unplugging it to no avail. You're right, my Yeti mic is also a USB condenser, and there is no problem with it. I may be forced to admit that the problem is in the CAD mic itself, as you said. Found a review of the mic on Amazon that seemed to indicate similar problems to the ones I'm having... persistent hiss that never gets resolved despite correct settings. I'm probably going to go the audio interface / condenser mic route. Any thoughts on the Rode NT1-A Cardioid Condenser microphone? That one seems to be rated well on Amazon and elsewhere...

Thanks again for your help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Take a look at the black NT1 instead of the NT1-A. The -A isn't that well liked here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search