The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gotye - trying to copy the processing on sample - help!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Gotye - trying to copy the processing on sample - help!

Hey guys,

I found the sample used in "Somebody That I Use To Know" and am trying to figure out how they mixed it to sound so clean! or maybe they just re recorded it? I don't play guitar so I'm not sure how easy this sound is to achieve.

You can hear they changed the offbeat sound to sound more subtle, can anyone tell if they re recorded it on a guitar or manipulated the sample? I'm guessing they used the sample because you can hear the hiss in the background still.)

Audio clip plays original > sample > original > my version.

I didn't bother trying to overdrive it, I can't get the distortion even close. I just EQd it w/ some volume automation for the transient of the first note. Also used Wave Centr to bring the sides/noise down a little, which slightly affected the tone.
Attached Files

GOTYE.mp3 (5.07 MB, 150 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
found the sample used in "Somebody That I Use To Know" and am trying to figure out how they mixed it to sound so clean!
Its not a sample, its a real guitar. Its sounds clean because it was recorded and performed (played) that way (fingers, hands how he palms the strings), There are no secrets. All you need is the right room that can get you close to that sound the right performance, and some decent mics.
(could be layered with acoustic and an electric very faintly in some parts of the song, IIRC)
Quote:
I didn't bother trying to overdrive it, I can't get the distortion even close.
Copying and capturing someone distortion is very hard
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Its not a sample, its a real guitar. Its sounds clean because it was recorded and performed (played) that way (fingers, hands how he palms the strings), There are no secrets. All you need is the right room that can get you close to that sound the right performance, and some decent mics.
(could be layered with acoustic and an electric very faintly in some parts of the song, IIRC)

Actually found an interview. The mixer said it was just the sample he mixed for the beginning.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...francois-tetaz

Quote:
lol, agreed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search