The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Possible Ground Loop Problem
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Possible Ground Loop Problem

Hi folks. I hope that you are able to help me.

Over the course of the last few years I've been building a studio from scratch. With an I7 8 core powered PC, I have a Moog Sub 37 synth and a Yamaha digital piano plugged into a Yamaha MG10XU USB Mixer.

I had some problems with electronic noise coming through the speakers when I first tried out the system. An example of the type of noise I have can be heard in the following You Tube video: https://youtu.be/-aTqmbPTHaA

First I tried to isolate the USB leads using the following: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I tried what you're not supposed to do, I disconnected the earth from the earth pin in the extension lead. This produced some results but the buzzing noise in the speakers was soon back.

When I disconnect my XLR leads from each instrument from the mixer, hey presto, no noise. I tried an Art DTI box, but this added a hum and did not solve the underlying problem of the noise through the speaker. I also tried a ground lift adaptor on the XLR inputs on the usb mixer and that did not produce any results.

I am so struggling with this problem, It's been dogging me for two years approximately, so all help in solving it would be greatly appreciated.

A little about me; I have been producing music on and off for 12 years, but what I know about audio production and engineering has mainly been through trial and error. I've not had much input from audio experts or engineers, so some of the language in replies may be lost on me. Please bear this in mind when replying. Thank you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any help on this problem would be truly appreciated. Is there anyone that can assist me?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing, I know how frustrating that can be.

You said that when you unplug the cables that go from the keyboards to the mixer that the noise disappears, correct?

Can you describe (or take pictures) of exactly the type of cables that you are using for these connections? If you can take pictures, take pictures of both ends of the cables, unplugged from the devices (especially if they are 1/4" cables).
Old 3 weeks ago
Just another avenue to explore: I lived in a really old building when I was in Cleveland and had some similar problems. I turns out the power in the building was really dirty. Especially from more "analog" type equipment. Not all power inverters have the same filtering abilities. A power conditioner mostly fixed it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing, I know how frustrating that can be.

You said that when you unplug the cables that go from the keyboards to the mixer that the noise disappears, correct?

Can you describe (or take pictures) of exactly the type of cables that you are using for these connections? If you can take pictures, take pictures of both ends of the cables, unplugged from the devices (especially if they are 1/4" cables).

Thank you for your help. Yes, when I unplug the cables the noise is gone.

These are the cables from the synthesiser to the mixer and from the digital piano to the mixer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Designacabl...CSPKMQ9D186B23

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search