The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fostex 280 tape problem
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Fostex 280 tape problem

Hi Everyone. I am new to this site so I hope this is the correct thing to do.
I have a second hand Fostex 280 which I go a couple of years ago in order to listen through some tapes I recorded a number of years ago. It was working fine at that time.
Since then it has been sitting in a cupboard and I pulled it out a few days ago as I felt like getting some informal recordings down. Not looking for top quality, just getting a few lines down so I can remember them!
Anyway, the tape doesn't play. It will rewind and fast forward but when I hit play, he heads don't engage, the acton tightens fo a few seconds and then switches off. The tape itself is OK, not tight or damaged.
Any ideas what could be the issue other than just being old!

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL31 View Post
Hi Everyone. I am new to this site so I hope this is the correct thing to do.
I have a second hand Fostex 280 which I go a couple of years ago in order to listen through some tapes I recorded a number of years ago. It was working fine at that time.
Since then it has been sitting in a cupboard and I pulled it out a few days ago as I felt like getting some informal recordings down. Not looking for top quality, just getting a few lines down so I can remember them!
Anyway, the tape doesn't play. It will rewind and fast forward but when I hit play, he heads don't engage, the acton tightens fo a few seconds and then switches off. The tape itself is OK, not tight or damaged.
Any ideas what could be the issue other than just being old!

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Sounds to me like the grease has hardened and the belts are lose.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Sounds to me like the grease has hardened and the belts are lose.
Thanks. That may be the case. I notice that as soon as a tape is inserted, the machine starts to make a grinding noise constantly, like something is turning but grinding against something. This doesn't stop even when rewinding or fast forwarding.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search