The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you set up an independent D/A converter?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What other gear is needed?

Is it worth all the extra setup and expense?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkqwall View Post

You'd need a digital source like a computer or something. What is your goal/use-case? DA converters (DACs) come in lots and lots and lots of different forms. Is this to hook up to your studio computer and monitors? For your home theater/TV? For your cell phone or portable use?

If it's for your studio computer, do you have an audio interface? Because that has a DAC in it, likely as good or better than a cheap standalone DAC. More info please.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkqwall View Post
An Independent D/A Convertor? You mean something like a Burl or a Lynx? It's dependent on the unit you buy. But like everything it's cables in and out of the computer- and cables in and out of the Convertor - A Card to get in and out of the computer - and a mixer with Dante or AES.

Quote:
That is not a question that can be answered by others. What problem are you trying to solve - or what are you trying to improve? If you want the cleanest most accurate conversions to get the Highest fidelity possible - then of course it's worth it. But if you just want to see what that kind of audio sounds like versus audio produced by a Lynx or Burl or whatever DAC - then I would say no it's not - you would be better off with a UA Apollo or similar unit IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I currently have a Saffire Pro 40 and a Scarlett 2i4 (I use them separately but also want to try hooking them together for more tracks/options/better workflow) and I am worried that the preamps and the overall quality of what I will get, specifically for drum sound, isn't going to be good enough for the project I am about to undertake. Vox, guitar, rhodes, synth, bass, drums is the full band instrumentation. Don't necessarily have to record live. My only experience is with interfaces and I wasn't sure how the standalone converters even worked. I finally figured out the old-school printer looking jacks on the back are for cabling that goes to a patch bay or snake. And it seems I would then need a mixer as well as some type of summing box for the monitors and headphones? Is there a digital out for the sound to reach the computer on one of these things?

I am thinking that if I were to use a mixer and some outboard preamps or compressors it would create a better and more professional sound, once again specifically for the drums as well as vox. I've read that the saffire itself is pretty transparent and people run outboard gear through it, so that is an option as well, to just buy a preamp and/or compressor and run it through the front of the saffire. Would that suffice for the quality I will need for this project though? Or is it more a matter of being super high end, and I can just wait until I can really afford to upgrade to the converter, mixer, summing etc situation?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

see above^
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Or is it more a matter of being super high end, and I can just wait until I can really afford to upgrade to the converter, mixer, summing etc situation?
Its never that matter. You do not need hi end gear to record and mix a great sounding song. You can do it with any DAW, any $100 sound card and any $99 microphones.

To get a great sound, you need skills in the audio engineering side and talent musical side (writing and performing)
Quote:
I currently have a Saffire Pro 40 and a Scarlett 2i4 (I use them separately but also want to try hooking them together for more tracks/options/better workflow) and I am worried that the preamps and the overall quality of what I will get,
I do not know if hooking up 2 different sound cards will work because of its clocking differences. Even if made by the same manufacturer. the slightest clocking difference will screw things up. The cards will have to be the same, not just from the same manufactures and it will have to say they can be daisy chained in the manual. A lot cannot.

Your best option is to get an audio interface with enough pre-amps, inputs and outputs as you need. Any interface made for audio can give you awesome results
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The DA conversion on the Focusrites' is absolutely fine, and their pre-amps offer plenty of clean gain. If you have money to spend ahead of the project, my first question would be: how well-treated is the room? That's going to have a huge impact on the sound you capture. In a professionally-treated, high-end studio, with a great monitoring chain, mics, etc - yes, they'll have more expensive pre-amps, and converters, and their engineers would be able to tell the difference between project-studio DA converters and whatever their converter of choice may be. But, honestly, don't give it a second's more thought. DO think about your room treatment, though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search