The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Issues with clipping while recording guitar DIs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Issues with clipping while recording guitar DIs

Hi guys I need a bit of help to solve a problem.

I've been working on tracking DI guitar tracks to later reamp at a pro studio. Unfortunately I'm having issues with clipping. I'm using Reaper for my DAW and was set my Interface's preamp all the way to 0. I started with a Scarlett 2i2 and even switched out to an Akai Pro EIE and both have the same issue. I'm using a radial J48 as my DI Box and I'm using the built in-15dB attenuator but unfortunately the signal is still mega hot and occasionally clipping.

I'm using a hot passive pick-up (Bareknuckle Warpig) with my guitar tuned to B-standard (baritone tuning).

my signal chain is as follows

Guitar (with passive bareknuckle warpig) > Radial J48 > Scarlett 2i2/Akai EIE > Macbook using Reaper.

The only solution I can see what buying an external attenuator (looking at Shure A15AS Switchable Attenuator) but I'm worried that might effect my tone. I guess I'm just searching for potential solutions and a discussion to help.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Use the LINE input on the Scarlett.
Also, your guitar has level controls. Why don’t you turn it down (I’m not a guitar player, so if there is some obvious reason not to to turn down the guitar, I don’t know it).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yeah, the instrument input Scarlett is a DI, if you’re using a separate DI, you need to go in to a line input. Does it have separate line inputs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search