The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton, synths & midi how to?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Ableton, synths & midi how to?

Good afternoon gearslutz!

So this is something i've had on my mind for a long while but have never really figured out.

Basically, my goal is to be able to play my tb03 (and later microkorg) as a sound module with one midi keyboard (midi via usb into ableton). I've seen a producer friend of mine do this with a midi interface but i'm not 100% if that's what i need.

Ideally i'd like to be able to record the midi jam I play on my keyboard (with the sound of my tb03) so that I can edit whatever mistakes I made on the ableton recording and then later bounce the final take out as audio.

Would something like a MOTU Midi Express 128 be what I'm looking for since they midi keyboard itself doesn't have a midi out but only usb? Would i be able to use the interface to send midi from that keyboard to the tb03 via ableton midi in/out function?

Thanks a bunch!

Imad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yeah, that is doable obviously. I would recommend reading the Ableton manual in terms of how to route midi to said external instruments and if you have a midi interface install the proper drivers etc.. and sure, you should be on your way.

I have had problems with the Motu midi interfaces over the last few years as kinda being flaky to be honest, so i would recommend a iConnect interface at this point myself...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I second the opinion on the MOTU interfaces (though I think the problem is their drivers, not the actual hardware). I used MOTU stuff for years and it worked flawlessly. Took a multi year break. Started back up equipping a small setup and got a MOTU micro-lite. The interface would constantly reset itself (thereby interrupting the audio). I looked around and saw that a lot of people were having similar problems, with no apparent fix in sight. Since I needed a new mixer anyway, I just got a mixer/audio interface and tossed the MOTU piece. My two cents for what it's worth....

keith
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks a bunch guys! Have also heard about the MOTU issue and am very much considering going for a Iconnectivity mio (or smaller one)

thanks again <3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search