The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crackle and warble with DI guitar
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Crackle and warble with DI guitar

Hello,

Trying to record direct-in guitar for the first time using guitar>direct box>DAV BG-8 pre>Apollo x16>Windows 10/Lenovo Yoga laptop/ProTools.

When monitoring live through the UA Console app, it sounds fine.

When I play back the recorded track in ProTools I'm getting a lot of crackling and weird warbling. Was having the same problem when monitoring live through PT instead of Console too. So the problem (I think?) is with the DAW, not the signal.

Guitar is being tracked to SSD5 MIDI drums at the moment. Those are the only two tracks in my session. I'm using the UA Marshall 2203 plugin for guitar tone in Console. Buffer is set to 512 samples in PT.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Is the warble on the raw track, or only after those effects are added?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It’s on the raw track. Happens both with no effects, and amp sim (monitored not printed), and amp printed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Pretty sure this is a system issue now. Removed ASIO4ALL and now I’m not getting sound in or out of PT at all. UA is selected as my audio driver and I’m getting the same distortion from computer audio too. Monitoring through UA Console is still fine. Updated my Thunderbolt drivers, which didn’t help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by directhitmedia View Post
Pretty sure this is a system issue now. Removed ASIO4ALL and now I’m not getting sound in or out of PT at all. UA is selected as my audio driver and I’m getting the same distortion from computer audio too. Monitoring through UA Console is still fine. Updated my Thunderbolt drivers, which didn’t help.
You should never use ASIO4all when you have a audio interface. Use the audio interface's drivers and download them form their website. Then install the drivers and set up the drivers. You have an Apollo, so the drivers need to be made form them, not ASIO4all

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search