The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio interface output through PC speakers?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Audio interface output through PC speakers?

Howdy,

I'm a total scrub when it comes to this stuff, so bear with me!

I have a Scarlett 2i2 on the way (my first audio interface for my first synth), and while I do have some K240s to use with it, it would certainly be nice to have the option of outputting to my PC speakers before I invest in some proper studio monitors. I imagine this isn't hard to do, but I'm just not sure what the best way to go about it is, or what sort of cables I should be getting for this.

The speakers are Bose Companion 20's. They're solid little speakers that have served me well, but obviously not ideal. However, they have this neat little pod with volume control, headphone jack, and in input for an secondary audio source. Is this magical pod-thingy the key?

Assuming it is, what then is the best way to connect to it? This is really where I'm totally unsure. Would I want to run a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from the headphone jack to the audio input on the pod? Or the actual audio outputs on the back with some sort of Y-cable?

Any help I can get is appreciated! This audio business is sort of a headache.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

I really wish people who ask these sorts of questions at least could link to online user manuals so we could take a look without having to do the googling as well.

As far as I can see the Scarlet outputs are line-level, and the Bose inputs on the back are likely consumer level (I don't know, I didn't read the manual). So you'd just match cable connector types and hook it up with the understanding that the level of the Scarlet would be significantly higher than what the speakers are meant to receive. If you want to use the input on the pod then match that instead. I mean, I can't tell for sure from pictures what size connectors these are but I'm sure the manual says what it is.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I really wish people who ask these sorts of questions at least could link to online user manuals so we could take a look without having to do the googling as well.

As far as I can see the Scarlet outputs are line-level, and the Bose inputs on the back are likely consumer level (I don't know, I didn't read the manual). So you'd just match cable connector types and hook it up with the understanding that the level of the Scarlet would be significantly higher than what the speakers are meant to receive. If you want to use the input on the pod then match that instead. I mean, I can't tell for sure from pictures what size connectors these are but I'm sure the manual says what it is.
Oof.

A "hey man, some additional information can really help us help you" probably would've sufficed, but I get your point . As I said, I'm a total scrub when it comes to this stuff and clearly hadn't considered all the variables here.

Appreciate the attempt at helping.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Two male TS 6,3mm Jack to one male 3,5mm TRS jack cable will do.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The auxiliary input on the control pod is a 3.5mm stereo connector. As BT64 says, to get a stereo feed from your interface into the speakers, you’ll need a splitter cable that has a suitable 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and a pair of unbalanced mono 6.35mm jacks on the other end. Something similar to this kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Brai...396524&sr=8-22

The large jacks go into the back of the Scarlett, the little one goes into the Bose pod thing et voila. (And if your stereo image is back-asswards, swap the two jacks over at the back of the Scarlett. Any decent cable should have it marked which 6.35mm jack corresponds to left and which to right anyway.)

As mattiasnyc said, the level out of the Scarlett will probably be a bit hotter than the Bose would normally expect to see, so adjust the Scarlett’s output volume to suit and ensure there’s no distortion at the Bose input.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help! I'll keep the output in mind and I'll be sure to include more information next time I make a thread .
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey Tiger Mask, welcome to Gearslutz! I would recommend getting an 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable and connect the 1/4" ends to the 2i2 line outputs (red one goes into the Right output), and the other 3.5mm end to either the "line input" on the back of the right speaker, or to the line input on the pod. Therefore you keep the 2i2 headphone out for your AKGs. Get the shortest cable you can get away with because the Bose input is unbalanced and cable runs longer than 2 meters can start to pick up noise. Also keep in mind there will be a level and impedance mismatch (+4dbU on the 2i2 side and -10db on the Bose side) so don't drive the speakers too hard as their input is more sensitive. Ideally you want active monitor speakers with balanced +4dbU inputs to pair with the 2i2.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTuNToNe View Post
Hey Tiger Mask, welcome to Gearslutz! I would recommend getting an 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable and connect the 1/4" ends to the 2i2 line outputs (red one goes into the Right output), and the other 3.5mm end to either the "line input" on the back of the right speaker, or to the line input on the pod. Therefore you keep the 2i2 headphone out for your AKGs. Get the shortest cable you can get away with because the Bose input is unbalanced and cable runs longer than 2 meters can start to pick up noise. Also keep in mind there will be a level and impedance mismatch (+4dbU on the 2i2 side and -10db on the Bose side) so don't drive the speakers too hard as their input is more sensitive. Ideally you want active monitor speakers with balanced +4dbU inputs to pair with the 2i2.
Thank you! That was very informative. Much appreciated, amigo. Sounds like I should invest in some new speakers sooner than later.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Using the outputs as unbalanced will drop it with 6dB, so don't worry to mutch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search