The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panned acoustic guitars don’t pass in mono
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Panned acoustic guitars don’t pass in mono

I am recording an acoustic track and I want to double the guitar track. I have each take panned hard left and hard right. It sounds great in stereo but they collapse a LOT in mono. The correlation meter shows there’s a lot of phase issues too. The takes were recorded in the same room with the same mix which I assume is problem. What’s the best way to fix this? Any idea would be greatly appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Fortunately I think most people won't listen to it in mono. But anyway, decorrelate it if there's too much correlation. Use a different guitar for the double. A different mic. Different position in the room. Different mic position... And so on... Different fingering on the fretboard?.. Best I can think of.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I have each take panned hard left and hard right. It sounds great in stereo but they collapse a LOT in mono.
That is because you only have one panned hard left and one panned hard right. What is in the center? You cannot judge a mix in mono with just 2 instruments panned hard left and right. When checking in mono, check the whole mix and don to solo just 2 instruments.

If its only 2 guitar parts and you want mono translation, then you need to have something in the center, not just hard left and right.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

I thought it would just sum both to mono? I hard pan things and I still hear them in mono
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Head

Thanks guys this was super helpful. When they were hard panned and then checked in mono, they didn’t disappear, just were quieter and thinner. Since it was the same guitar on the same mic in the same room, I think there was a lot of cancelation. I tried swapping the phase but the same issue still occurred. I ended up using my rz062’s mid side feature and I boosted the mid and cut the sides gain. I boosted the highs on the sides and gave the mod a bit more body and the mono test now passes with flying colors. Mono compatible but stereo has that nice shimmer on the sides.
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

You can also compress/EQ/saturate them with different character tools. Nudging one (time) for a slight delay can be useful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search