The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to get vintage sounding drums?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Best way to get vintage sounding drums?

What are the best methods to get dusty, vintage sounding drums? One reference track that I'm trying to emulate is Insane in the Membrane by Cypress Hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9tCBL86nQ

I'm working ITB with Pro Tools.

Any input is really appreciated.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

for starters, choose the right samples. .

The record you mentioned, Insane in the Brain, those drums were sampled from a song called "Get out of my Life, Woman" by George Semper. Get online and find that VINYL record; That's 97.5% of it right there. If you really want them dirty, speed the record up when you record the drums into PT, and then screw them back to normal speed ITB. That's an old school sampler technique used to maximize memory when you only had a few seconds of sample time to start with, and that's responsible for a lot of that sound you're looking for. Also, a lot of those were sampled through 12 bit samplers and processed analog, so you might look for some emulation plugins to play with. Dusty vintage sounding drums come from dusty vintage records.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bino_5150 View Post
for starters, choose the right samples. .

The record you mentioned, Insane in the Brain, those drums were sampled from a song called "Get out of my Life, Woman" by George Semper. Get online and find that VINYL record; That's 97.5% of it right there. If you really want them dirty, speed the record up when you record the drums into PT, and then screw them back to normal speed ITB. That's an old school sampler technique used to maximize memory when you only had a few seconds of sample time to start with, and that's responsible for a lot of that sound you're looking for. Also, a lot of those were sampled through 12 bit samplers and processed analog, so you might look for some emulation plugins to play with. Dusty vintage sounding drums come from dusty vintage records.
Thanks man, that's really helpful information. I had no idea about that sampler technique. Guess it's time I better head to the record store lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search