The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music Industry Life Advice
Old 4 weeks ago
Cool Music Industry Life Advice

Hello,

I have some questions about my future as a musician.

This is the situation, I have been producing on Ableton for some years now, 5 years give and take, and have learned a bit of music theory as long with transversal flute for 1 year twice a week. This is were I'm at https://soundcloud.com/user-723016159

These are a few options I realized I have so far:

Electronic Music School
  • Certificate and Teachers
  • Syntorial (No Certificate nor Teachers)
Traditional Music School
  • Drums
  • Other...
Just Keep On Going...
  • Change to a better career for income
  • Try to enter the music industry

??Other?? - Other advices are very welcomed!

If the best advice wold be to Change to a better career for income I would have to invest the same money and time in school for other career.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon Mantis View Post
Hello,

I have some questions about my future as a musician.

This is the situation, I have been producing on Ableton for some years now, 5 years give and take, and have learned a bit of music theory as long with transversal flute for 1 year twice a week. This is were I'm at https://soundcloud.com/user-723016159

These are a few options I realized I have so far:

Electronic Music School
  • Certificate and Teachers
  • Syntorial (No Certificate nor Teachers)
Traditional Music School
  • Drums
  • Other...
Just Keep On Going...
  • Change to a better career for income
  • Try to enter the music industry

??Other?? - Other advices are very welcomed!

If the best advice wold be to Change to a better career for income I would have to invest the same money and time in school for other career.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance
Listen, do not ask strangers what career you should pursue and what do with your future. Do this:
1.) Do what makes you happy
2.) Do what drives you
3.) Do what you want and not what a stranger tells you to do
4.) and do what makes you happy
Old 4 weeks ago
Putting money into a music career isn't the same as putting money into training to be a plumber, or doctor, or IT person. Those things have as close to a guaranteed return as you can get. You can put thousands into music and no one might ever care.

Which isn't a reason not to do it
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Invest your time and money in education and training and get a well-paying job. Then use the job to subsidize your music career on evenings and weekends.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDrake View Post
Invest your time and money in education and training and get a well-paying job. Then use the job to subsidize your music career on evenings and weekends.
Although, that's also a great way to become a "former musician". That early investment of time, money and energy are all the things that anyone who really, truly wants or needs to be a musician will throw into music instead. By the time you've done the non-music studying, got the job, etc, you'll be nowhere near where people who committed wholeheartedly to music from the get go will be, and while you might be able to afford better gear, there is a very low ceiling to what one can achieve, musically, by trying to pick up an instrument in the evening after a full day at work.

Yes, it's better life advice. But as someone who, briefly, went down that route - though was fortunate enough to have a legal career where, very early on, I could cut back my hours to 3 days a week to accommodate a full-on gigging schedule as well - I can report that: all my friends (a good chunk of them) who managed to have actual careers as musicians, did so by committing to music in their teens, and not even considering anything else. The rest played in pub bands for a bit. Music is like any other art form: evenings and weekends aren't enough to be professionally good - but are fine for pub bands, or doing music as a hobby.

To the OP: if you're serious about this, then it's really all down to your inner drive, persistence and natural talent. If you have those things, then go hard at it. If you want to perform, professionally, on an instrument, you'll need to practise hard and start gigging as soon as you can. If you want to produce, find people who need someone with a studio. Your Soundcloud stuff doesn't sound like you're, yet, in a position to start charging - so collaborate with whoever you can find.

Everything that's taught in those Electronic Music Courses is stuff you can figure out with youtube and Ableton.

Learning an instrument requires regular face to face time with an experienced teacher - who can also provide structure, and help gauge progress. It's a long journey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search