The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre the preamp!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Pre the preamp!

Evening all,

I'm not exactly new but my baseline is very low...

I've just decided to update my setup after about 20 years of using Delta 1010s and am now massively behind the curve. I'm looking to get a new audio interface immediately having moved to Windows 10 and currently without, I made the mistake of buying a liquid saffire 56 only to find it won't work on later win 10 build so am now starting again.....

My question is - I use a SPL gold channel as my main pre-amp, can I just run the out of this into an audio interface that also has a preamp? I'd expect it to then get coloured by the 2nd pre? or is there a way to bypass the pre in modern audio interfaces (I've never used a unit that is both the preamp and AD-DA - forgive me!)

I want to get the most bang for buck, ideally be able to get two independent headphone mixes out somehow Ideally I only need 2 inputs as I record drums through midi (bfd3).

Grateful for your answers and recommendations on what to buy (budget £400-£500. I've read the top ten lists but if anything it's made me more confused - too many top tens and conflicting reviews!

thanks for everybody's time

Nicky
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybbad View Post
Evening all,

I'm not exactly new but my baseline is very low...
Hi and welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybbad View Post

I've just decided to update my setup after about 20 years of using Delta 1010s and am now massively behind the curve. I'm looking to get a new audio interface immediately having moved to Windows 10 and currently without, I made the mistake of buying a liquid saffire 56 only to find it won't work on later win 10 build so am now starting again.....

My question is - I use a SPL gold channel as my main pre-amp, can I just run the out of this into an audio interface that also has a preamp? I'd expect it to then get coloured by the 2nd pre?
As long as there is no transformer involved (99% of audio interface) you wouldn't hear any difference at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybbad View Post


or is there a way to bypass the pre in modern audio interfaces (I've never used a unit that is both the preamp and AD-DA - forgive me!)
Yes indeed. All the modern interfaces should come with a combo XLR/line input where you can insert a TRS balanced cable bypassing the preamp stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybbad View Post

I want to get the most bang for buck, ideally be able to get two independent headphone mixes out somehow Ideally I only need 2 inputs as I record drums through midi (bfd3).

Grateful for your answers and recommendations on what to buy (budget £400-£500. I've read the top ten lists but if anything it's made me more confused - too many top tens and conflicting reviews!

thanks for everybody's time

Nicky
Best bang for buck could be Behringer, 204HD, 404HD or XR18 depending by the number of inputs/output/routing you are looking for.

For the 2 headphones, you can get an XR18 and a multi-channel headphone amplifier and you'll get up to 7 different mono headphone mixes or 4 stereo one if you prefer.

My personal opinion is that all the audio interfaces, nowadays, are the same "rubbish" just in a different package. Choose the one of the colour that clings best to your shirt or desk.

Cheers
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump