The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synth Background Noise
Old 6th November 2019
Here for the gear

Synth Background Noise

I am new to the world of hardware synths and I recently bought an MFB Dominion 1. However, when I get it all plugged in and fire up Ableton, I notice there is some consistent background noise coming from that channel. Is this normal? It's just a low level, fluctuating static type noise.

I've got the synth hooked up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a Mogami Pure Patch PP-06 cable. It is audible on my speakers/headphones and it registers on the level in the mixer as random fluctuations. It stops as soon as I shut the synth off. It is not super loud and is drowned out when the synth is actually played, but it is definitely noticeable otherwise.

Any thoughts on this? I just need to figure out if the synth is defective in some way or if this is just the way things are with actual hardware synths.
Old 7th November 2019
Quote:
am new to the world of hardware synths and I recently bought an MFB Dominion 1. However, when I get it all plugged in and fire up Ableton, I notice there is some consistent background noise coming from that channel. Is this normal? It's just a low level, fluctuating static type noise.
No, static noise is not normal.
Is your electrical grid in your studio grounded?
Have you tried another wall wart on a different circuit?
Do you have balanced cables connected to your studio monitors?
Are there electrical cables near any of your audio cables?
Quote:
I've got the synth hooked up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a Mogami Pure Patch PP-06 cable. It is audible on my speakers/headphones and it registers on the level in the mixer as random fluctuations. It stops as soon as I shut the synth off.
The first thing i would have done is try another wall wart on a different circuit. So try that first.
Old 10th November 2019
Gear Guru

Well, just how loud is it? All electronics has some level of self-noise, no? So, is it really unreasonably loud?

And is it white noise or something else?
Old 1st January 2020
Here for the gear

OK, I've finally had a little more time to try to troubleshoot this.

I also have a Behringer Neutron Synth. I've got a cable routed from the Audio Output of the Neutron to my Focusrite audio interface. It is totally quiet. If I take that same cable and remove it from the Audio Out of the Neutron and plug it in to the Audio Out of the MFB Dominion 1, I get the sound you can hear in the attachment. Everything else remains the same.

The sound is audible even if I have the master VCA knob dialed all the way to the down to zero. In fact, the noise even seems to get ever so slightly louder when it's turned all the way down.

There are no electrical cables near the audio cable. I tried a few different plugs for the synth power and it didn't appear to make any difference. Everything is plugged in to a Furman power conditioner, which is then plugged in to my normal household power outlet.

TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN BEFORE LISTENING TO THE ATTACHMENT!
Attached Files

noise.wav (2.18 MB, 54 views)

Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

holy crap all that high end spiky shyte almost popped my eardrums. fair warning next time please

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search