The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synth Background Noise
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Synth Background Noise

I am new to the world of hardware synths and I recently bought an MFB Dominion 1. However, when I get it all plugged in and fire up Ableton, I notice there is some consistent background noise coming from that channel. Is this normal? It's just a low level, fluctuating static type noise.

I've got the synth hooked up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a Mogami Pure Patch PP-06 cable. It is audible on my speakers/headphones and it registers on the level in the mixer as random fluctuations. It stops as soon as I shut the synth off. It is not super loud and is drowned out when the synth is actually played, but it is definitely noticeable otherwise.

Any thoughts on this? I just need to figure out if the synth is defective in some way or if this is just the way things are with actual hardware synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
am new to the world of hardware synths and I recently bought an MFB Dominion 1. However, when I get it all plugged in and fire up Ableton, I notice there is some consistent background noise coming from that channel. Is this normal? It's just a low level, fluctuating static type noise.
No, static noise is not normal.
Is your electrical grid in your studio grounded?
Have you tried another wall wart on a different circuit?
Do you have balanced cables connected to your studio monitors?
Are there electrical cables near any of your audio cables?
Quote:
I've got the synth hooked up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a Mogami Pure Patch PP-06 cable. It is audible on my speakers/headphones and it registers on the level in the mixer as random fluctuations. It stops as soon as I shut the synth off.
The first thing i would have done is try another wall wart on a different circuit. So try that first.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Well, just how loud is it? All electronics has some level of self-noise, no? So, is it really unreasonably loud?

And is it white noise or something else?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search