The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sizzly, Crackly Static from Right Speakers
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Sizzly, Crackly Static from Right Speakers

I've been having this annoying issue with my speakers lately. I have two sets - a pair of JBL LSR 308s and a pair of KRK Rokit 10-3s. Both are attached to a ProCo Switch Witch. I have synths and other instruments running through patch bays, then through a Speck X.sum and into my Apollo audio interface, then through a Saffire Pro 40, then to the Switch Witch. Now that I'm looking at this maybe I could remove the Saffire from the chain. It is left over from a very different version of my studio years ago. But anyhow...

What will happen is when I play a bit louder, and especially if it is dense clusters of notes in a certain range, the right speaker will start to distort in a very crackly and sort of sizzly sounding way. It sounds absolutely terrible. And this happens to both sets of speakers, only the right one. I've checked and all connections are secure. Levels aren't peaking or anything either. They are loud but at a healthy level without going into the red or even the yellow.

Anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this? Bad cable somewhere? I use really nice cables but I guess something could have gotten pinched? Or does this sound like something else?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Swap connections to see if problem swaps to.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Swap connections to see if problem swaps to.
I can certainly try that, thanks. I'll start with the cables going from Switch Witch to speakers...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search