The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Digiface AVB for a StudioLive Mixer ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

RME Digiface AVB for a StudioLive Mixer ?

I am already using my StudioLive 32 series iii mixer connected to a PC via USB 2 for Live FOH and plugin use. Allows me to use low latency plugins in Live Mixing. Studio One v4 is reporting my RTL before any plugins is at 2.83 in / 2.4 out and the processing tab says 6.3ms with the USB 2. I am using 32 channels I/O.

Today I see there is a Digiface AVB - $999. Would this allow me to use the AVB network connection on the Studiolive and connect the AVB to the PC using the Digiface and a USB 3 connection to the PC? Would I need an AVB switch or could I simply connect the Studiolive AVB to the Digiface, and the Digiface USB3 to the PC? Would Round Trip Latency be improved much over USB 2 in this set up? Would stability be improved?

I am trying to avoid a soundgrid network with the new BR1 AVB bridge. Too costly, too limiting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone know anything about this? I wrote RME but got no reply. Does the Digiface serve as an interface or bridge between my Avb I/O on the mixer and usb 3? Will I see any noticeable improvement over usb 2 in terms of RT latency?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM1 View Post
I am already using my StudioLive 32 series iii mixer connected to a PC via USB 2 for Live FOH and plugin use. Allows me to use low latency plugins in Live Mixing. Studio One v4 is reporting my RTL before any plugins is at 2.83 in / 2.4 out and the processing tab says 6.3ms with the USB 2. I am using 32 channels I/O.

Today I see there is a Digiface AVB - $999. Would this allow me to use the AVB network connection on the Studiolive and connect the AVB to the PC using the Digiface and a USB 3 connection to the PC? Would I need an AVB switch or could I simply connect the Studiolive AVB to the Digiface, and the Digiface USB3 to the PC? Would Round Trip Latency be improved much over USB 2 in this set up? Would stability be improved?

I am trying to avoid a soundgrid network with the new BR1 AVB bridge. Too costly, too limiting.
I think you'll have a very small chance of finding someone with direct experience regarding your intended implementation. Based on my familiarity with elements related to your question, I'll offer some 'informed speculations'.

- The Digiface AVB has a standard 802.3 100/1000 port, so I am very sure you can directly attach another device (the StudioLive in this case) to it without an intervening AVB-capable LAN switch. Any normal Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6a etc. cable will do.

- Since it's an RME device, its USB latency will be among the best you'll find from any manufacturer. Page-67 of the Digiface manual lists the USB 3.0 chipsets that have full compatibility and poor/no compatibility. Check that first before you go further.

- In general USB 3 does not improve latency compared to USB 2; it's still a matter of the chip/driver implementation from the company that makes the mixer or interface. So, RME's USB 2 interfaces continue to demonstrate excellent low latency, and the USB 3 interfaces will show the same low latency with higher channel count capabilities than USB 2. I have used 32 channels on USB 2 with my Midas M32 in the studio (now using RME MADI). MOTU offers 64 channels on USB 2 in their M64 MADI interface. I think the top of USB 2 would be about 70 channels.

- If you can get some numbers on the RTL of the other USB 3.0 products from RME, I suspect that you can directly use that as a guide for your total RTL, adding around a millisecond to account for the AVB offset value (configurable to 0.3ms, 0.6ms and 1.0ms) and the A/D-D/A of the StudioLive

HTH
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks kinda what I thought. Using the AVB from the Studiolive is not going to improve things much compared to the USB 2 connection from the Studiolive because the AVB is still going to end up usb at the pc side.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search