The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Guitar Overdubs in Separate Studio
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Recording Guitar Overdubs in Separate Studio

Hello,
My tentative plan for recording my rock band’s EP is that I will track drums in a professional studio, and then track all the guitars and vocals in my home studio, over the already recorded drum tracks. My home studio is treated acoustically and sounds great. I realize that the more typical practice is probably to record everything in the same studio (drums and guitars). Would recording them in different studios (that inevitably have slightly different room sounds) create any weirdness in the final mixes, or make the tracks not gel in a natural way? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be an issue, but I wanted to make sure. I don’t typically record a whole lot of room sound in the guitars anyway, but there is a little bit. Have successful records been made this way before? Thanks everybody!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Would recording them in different studios (that inevitably have slightly different room sounds) create any weirdness in the final mixes, or make the tracks not gel in a natural way?
It depends.. You may not get that gel that recording everything at the same time gives you. It just depends on everyone performance at the time of each recording. I know i play better an perform better when i'm playing with the whole band.

Some tips, when recording the drums in the studio, I would have everyone else play along, so the drummer can get down the best performance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

there is no problem with your idea to record guitars at home.

you close mic guitar amps so the room hardly matter at all, unless its a very loud amp in a very small room.

record first guitar takes with the drums in the real studio so you have something to work off when overdubbing at home.

Easy Peasy....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search