The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Non Software Based Audio Interface
Old 11th October 2019
Here for the gear

Non Software Based Audio Interface

Hopefully this doesn't sound dumb but here's the deal. I have started getting close to my storage limits on my computer. That means I can't install any huge plugins or software anymore because I just don't have the space for it. I'm looking for a piece of hardware that offers line ins and maybe eq or some audio shaping features. I just really don't wanna try installing drivers or any type of software. I've cleared out all the junk I don't need on my computer but I'm still getting the warning that my space is almost full. Any tips or help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

By a larger or another hard drive. Problem solved.
Old 11th October 2019
Here for the gear

I did buy a new one but for some reason it won't let me run plugins thru it. :/ And it's 3tb
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

How big is your system drive? You should have your plugins and your workstation software on that. You create a few partitions on the 3TB and use one for audio, one for samples and one for storage.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
I did buy a new one but for some reason it won't let me run plugins thru it. :/ And it's 3tb
??
I put all my audio software on the system drive. That's pretty much all that is there. I use the external drive for everything else, including the DAW session files and all the audio for those sessions. All your loops and sample libraries can be on the external as well. The software is the one thing you want to keep on your system drive.

Quote:
That means I can't install any huge plugins or software anymore because I just don't have the space for it
But plugins are not "huge". The actual files that constitute plugins or audio software are really quite small. What eats up your space is the audio in your actual songs. 1 minute of 1 mono track at 44.1/24 = 7.5 MB. So a 3 minute song with 24 tracks is going to take up a half a gig - even with no outtakes.

Are you sure your error messages are about drive space and not some limitation of your computer's CPU?

You do not say what is "on" your computer that is filling it up. Do you have photos? Emails? Movies? Games? an iTunes Library? Why not move that off your internal drive to the external? There is no reason on earth why that has to stay on the internal drive. There are 'clean up' programs that can find the large files that are clogging up your machine, but the first step is to use the external drive for the music. Move all your music there. You may want to defragment your drive afterwards, as well.

Quote:
a piece of hardware that offers line ins and maybe eq or some audio shaping features.
These things exist, but without a screen can be a PITA to navigate. And frankly a new computer might be cheaper.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
But plugins are not "huge". The actual files that constitute plugins or audio software are really quite small.
Install Omnisphere and get back to us. Unless you mean plugins other than virtual instruments, then yeah most are small.

Sounds like he's cleaned up his HD...I would just buy a new (internal) HD; why mess around with some odd hardware setup which would probably cost more anyway?
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

I essentially got rid of all the audio on my hd which freed up ALOT of room. I've always been hesitant about doing it because I don't like being restrained to my external HD but cest la vie, It must be done.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
I essentially got rid of all the audio on my hd which freed up ALOT of room. I've always been hesitant about doing it because I don't like being restrained to my external HD but cest la vie, It must be done.
I am not sure why you would feel "restrained" by an external HD.

when I started using DAWs, the computers of that time could barely keep up, so it was considered Best Practices to always put your session audio on the external drive and leave your internal drive for just the OS and the software. A lot of folks I know who have large collections of sample-based Virtual Instruments will maintain a third drive, just for samples.

I don't have much in the way of virtual instruments myself, but I have always maintained 3 drives. The internal drive for OS and software, a "working drive" for the actual DAW sessions and recorded audio, and a backup drive that everything gets copied to at the end of every session.

With modern computers, I know plenty of people who nowadays manage to run all their 'stuff' off the internal drive, but surely they are closer to whatever "Edge" of system capability than someone who splits that load across two drives. I don't understand how this could be considered a 'restraint'. It strikes me as exactly the opposite.

It frees up power and throughput. Whether you need it or not may be based on the complexity of your workload as well as the capacity of your system, but why not lighten the load?
Old 25th October 2019
Quote:
just really don't wanna try installing drivers or any type of software. I've cleared out all the junk I don't need on my computer but I'm still getting the warning that my space is almost full. Any tips or help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
Listen Sweetheart, drivers form an audio interface take up no space at all.
Also, how would you use a DAW ,without audio drivers? You need the drivers to communicate between your audio interface and your DAW.

You have other issues going on here. Drivers form your audio interface are not one of them.
Old 5th November 2019
Here for the gear

I was using drivers more as a way to reference file locations or things needed to use software. I'm not that technical and I'm pretty amateur still. But I appreciate the tips and Input from you guys a whole lot.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

Back when SSD drives were new I paid big bucks for a 128 GB to use as C drive in my DAW I also had a 500 GB for data and a 250 as a 3rd backup. I have a lot of VST instruments and all allow you to store the libraries on data drives. The machine had at least 4 DAW’s, 4 wave editors video editing and other software running. I think it sat at about 65% used space. Was never a issue. Pay attention during install to your pathways

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search