The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo compressor vs 2 mono compressors
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
You know I REALLY recommend doing a ton of experimentation with plugins. You don’t need to buy the hardware immediately unless you have to get rid of your money right away for some reason! Everything we’re talking about works just as well in the computer and it’s easier to try a bunch of things and learn what you love and it will only help you make more informed decisions about what to buy, if you actually need to buy anything. You absolutely don’t need hardware compressors to make amazing sounding recordings. If you use logic you can mess around with stereo, 2x mono, optical, fet, vca model compressors. I have access to a lot of hardware but I still end up preferring and using the Logic 1176 emulation on vocals a lot of the time. (I even have a real vintage 1176 and I still use that plugin instead sometimes!)
Thanks for the tip. I know you don't need them but I have experimented a lot with plugins and I want the experience of doing it while tracking before my AD conversion. I want to experiment with both things and see what I like most. If I don't try, I will never know
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
thanks for your help... ok so the mixer idea is out the window then. FYI asking you nice folk IS doing research

I guess the whole point of this thread for me was to try understand the difference between

1) 2 X mono compressors compressing 2 X microphones recording one source vs
2) 1 X stereo compressor compressing 2 microphones recording one source

That is the part that has been most confusing for me but I am getting there
Stereo compressor will compress two channels with the same settings and at the same time. When one channel goes over the threshold, both channels will be compressed. Stereo compressors are good for stereo sources. An example would be compressing a stereo mic'ed piano or room mics. The key here is both channels are the same source.

There are two major differences on a dual mono compressors:

- You are able to set different settings for each channel.
For example you may want a 5-10ms attack/midish release on a vocal, and a 1ms attack/fast release on a really plucky guitar.

- Each channel will have it's own detector circuit.
That way If you hit a loud part on one channel (lets say your vocal) only that channel will compress and not effect the second channel (guitar). They work independently of each other.

Basically a dual mono compressor is like having two separate compressors that can also work in tandem (when linked) as a stereo compressor. A dual mono compressor is more versatile, because it can also operate as a stereo compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search