The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing on a pair of vintage JBL s
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

Mixing on a pair of vintage JBL s

I'm mixing on a pair of JBL 46710K s and they sound amazing. Should I go newer stuff ?
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

You can mix on any speakers, as long as you learn how they translate to other systems.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thankyou ! Before that I was mixing on beats headphones that were set flat and that worked well. You guys are great
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I feel like this is a trick question.
Old 4 weeks ago
It's really a trick question if the whole thing leaves you with the feeling you need a bath.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfreddie View Post
I'm mixing on a pair of JBL 46710K s and they sound amazing. Should I go newer stuff ?
If they sound amazing, why ask us if you should get another pair of monitors? I do not understand like this.

Its like, I love the taste of this medium rare steak, its amazing and then i ask my diner guest if i should send it back for another one
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Respect

I respect and seek the opinions and guidance of veterans.This forum is priceless.Im a musician that turned engineer in an attempt to control my creative environment and it is working. Thanks gents
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

As said above, if you learn how things ought to sound on these, you could certainly mix on them. I mixed for years on JBL 4311s. However some caveats.

The 46710Ks were originally intended as PA speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL
It is ideal for churches, boardrooms, motion-picture theatre systems, and any sound reinforcement application that requires outstanding full- range performance.
I don't know these speakers myself, but they may not be as flat as modern near-fields. PA-type speakers with a horn and no tweeter sometimes can be a bit 'honky'. Also, because they are old, you should check the woofer surrounds for rot. The rubber on these rings may eventually decay and need replacement.

Another potential pitfall is the size, so be careful with the positioning. They are bigger than your typical nearfields. When I mixed on the 4311s, I had them much farther back from my listening position than my Genelecs are today.

Quote:
they sound amazing
that's good for you, as long as you keep in mind that "sounding amazing" in your control room is ultimately not the main point. The point is that the mixes you make should still sound amazing when you take them out of the control room and listen to them somewhere else - on other systems and other speakers. Translation. That's what 'getting used to them' is all about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search