The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Proposed PA setup
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

Proposed PA setup

Hi, we have a Tom Petty tribute band and are very focused on the best live sound, not studio sounds. We have a lovely 32 track analog board that works marvelously and I have been slowly reading about getting the best set up for the best sound and gathering gear.

This is my proposed set up based on what i have read. All of the compressors/gates/limiters and eq will go direct in dry to the channel and the efx will go in wet through the aux lines for the channels.

I'd like some thoughts.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Proposed PA setup-clubhouse-sound-system.jpg  
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragginHearts View Post
Hi, we have a Tom Petty tribute band and are very focused on the best live sound, not studio sounds. We have a lovely 32 track analog board that works marvelously and I have been slowly reading about getting the best set up for the best sound and gathering gear.

This is my proposed set up based on what i have read. All of the compressors/gates/limiters and eq will go direct in dry to the channel and the efx will go in wet through the aux lines for the channels.

I'd like some thoughts.

Thanks.
if your desk is 'lovely', you will not need any pres and eq's. put those few comps you think are necessary on the inserts of channels (on a desk, these are called 'channels', 'tracks' are the equivalent on a recording device/tape machine) and/or subgroups; skip the gates (or switch to expanders). eq/comp go on the insert of the mix but the eq may not be needed, depending on speaker processor. you can go directly from the auxes to eq's and then to the amps/wedges; skip the feedback eliminator.

just have a look at a 'normal' signal flow of pretty much any desk there is - no reason to re-invent the wheel or to go crazy with outboard; this article imo nails it:

https://www.prosoundweb.com/retro-mi...ur-live-mixes/

and when using riders/setups/sketches/channel lists, pls write down instruments/sources and not names (only)! i still remember replacing a foh tech who got sick during the show and about nine channels were labelled joe (or steve), stemming from two guys by the same name both singing and playing various instruments... - luckily the lightie was close... :-)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 9th October 2019 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: edited twice/info added
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Head

I never liked vocal comp in the monitors. Am I alone in that? I used to always put it in the mains only.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithburg View Post
I never liked vocal comp in the monitors. Am I alone in that? I used to always put it in the mains only.
that can easily be avoided by either splitting the vocal signal or by using a comp in the vocal subgroup.
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Head

Right, totally -- that was my point regarding the OP actually, to consider whether the singers want to hear comp in their monitors, when he builds his chain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search