The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Delay
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Head

Vocal Delay

So I've been focusing on listening to vocal mixing in the music I listen to. I really like the jesus and mary chain and hear this effect on their vocals -

it sounds like the delay is stereo, but starts mono. Like as the delay comes in it spreads full stereo. But in a sidechainy kinda way where it sounds like dropping a pebble into water.

I've experimented but cant seem to capture the full 'spreading' effect.

I know Jamc double tracked a lot of vocals but I dont understand how to make the delay do what I want it to. - breathe out into stereo.

I'm not sure if I'm communicating correctly but I swear I hear the delay spreading, not just instant stereo.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Seems like you're saying a discreet center delay then a stereo pair?
How about a link to song that best features it?
Old 6th October 2019
Here for the gear
One way that comes to mind that you could do this would be to feed your mono vocal signal to an aux channel panned "gently" stereo, 100% wet (i.e., what comes out of the channel is one full delay period behind). Then, feed out from that aux to another aux channel, panned wider, again 100% wet. In this way, you'll have the vocal in real time in mono hit first, followed by one repeat panned gently, followed by another panned wider. Modify your feedback settings in each to suit your taste. You could even add a third (or more!) if you want to get some deep dimension to it and if you've got processing power to spare, though pairing a couple channels with a bit of reverb would probably fill it out nicely.

Real cool idea, I wanna try this now!!
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
...How about a link to song that best features it?
+1
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

A mono slap-back delay, zero feedback, and a stereo/ping-pong delay. Slap-back isn't really tempo based - right around 80 ms is a typical starting poiint. Stereo delays are tempo based, but whether it's a quarter note, or a dotted eighth or whatever is totally by feel. Try a couple settings and see which sits in the mix. Don't forget to send your delay auxes to the same reverb as your vocal track - don't want your delay sitting in front of the vocal because it's so dry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search