The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Drift In Reaper and Davinci Resolve
Old 5th October 2019
Here for the gear

Audio Drift In Reaper and Davinci Resolve

I'll try to keep this as simple (haha) as possible.

I'm recording live mic commentary in Reaper and video game capture in Streamlabs OBS, not streaming, just recording. When I render out the live mic commentary and place it into Davinci Resolve (my video editor) with the game capture, the mic commentary gradually goes out of sync.

I manually line the tracks up in the beginning with an audio and video cue, usually saying "one,two,one,two" with a corresponding movement in game.

As soon as two minutes in, our commentary has sped up and we're reacting to things on screen before they happen.

I'm aware of making cuts and stretching, but I'd like to know of any preventative measures that could save me from having to do so.

As for the nitty-gritty of what I have going on:

Streamlabs is recording mp4's with 160 bitrate audio, 44.1hz of my PS4 game through an El Gato capture card. Keep in mind the mic audio is recorded SEPARATE from this, so the delay is not within Streamlabs.

In Reaper, I render out 44.1hz wav files of our mic audio.

I'm willing to bet there's some problem with the file formats I'm recording to. Something about variable bitrate and framerates? There's decent info online I've found about audio drift but nothing definitive I've seen for my situation as far as how to prevent/minimize issues.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I was just recording mic and game audio all in SLOBS but thought recording separately would give me more control...yet now I'm stuck dealing with this.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Is your video recorded with a variable or constant frame rate. Variable frame rate does not play nicely with most NLEs, nothing to do with bit rate. Your audio should be at 48k for Resolve.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search