The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BNC Clocking ADAT Devices - Simple Question, needing simple Answer
Old 4th October 2019
BNC Clocking ADAT Devices - Simple Question, needing simple Answer

Hey!

So skipping to the point. Let me share a hypothetical set up, and somebody who is familiar with clocking ADAT devices VIA BNC cables and a (BNC splitter maybe) let me know how you, yourself, in the scenario I specified, would complete the chain of devices so that they all work seemlessly,..

Let’s say you have an Audient ID44. Two ADAT ports. Can accept 8 plus 8 via those ports, respectively. 16 total. It has ONE wordclock OUT BNC jack. We also have two ADAT devices. Two ART OPTOTUBE 8’s. They can be slaved to a clock via BNC IN jack. We wish to connect both to allow 16 channels of audio to be streamed via ADAT and clocked via BNC to and from the Audient ID44 as the master device and the analog/digital front end of our home studio set up.

So, how do we accomplish this set up?

I have looked into BNC splitters but literally the only uses that are given on the internet are video production uses and that is sketchy enough for me to still post this here and get some sort of solid solution from those who have more experience than me. I have always just had either a mixer that could recieve any preamp as a line in or enough analog ins on an interface for the project at the time.

Now, the time has come for me to upgrade my converters and see about the Audient ID44, then slaving an ART TUBEOPTO 8 and an Arturia 8Pre to it so I have the full 20 channel count. It’s either that or I slave an Apogee AD16 to the Audient and to Analog out to Analog in from the ART to the Apogee then all I’d need is one bnc cable cause the Apogee as one device would send the 16 digital signals I want.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post

Let’s say you have an Audient ID44. Two ADAT ports. Can accept 8 plus 8 via those ports, respectively. 16 total. It has ONE wordclock OUT BNC jack. We also have two ADAT devices. Two ART OPTOTUBE 8’s. They can be slaved to a clock via BNC IN jack. We wish to connect both to allow 16 channels of audio to be streamed via ADAT and clocked via BNC to and from the Audient ID44 as the master device and the analog/digital front end of our home studio set up.

So, how do we accomplish this set up?
You would go Wordclock out of the Audient via BNC, into the Wordclock IN of the first Optotube and then run a 2nd BNC cable from the Wordclock Thru to the Wordclock IN of the 2nd optotube. You then need to terminate that workdclock chain, so you need to get a 75ohm BNC terminator and attach that to the 2nd Optotube's Wordclock Thru.

Set both optotubes to slave to Wordclock IN and everything should be clocked together.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Why not clock via ADAT?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Why not clock via ADAT?
Yeah,

I think I used one of those ART things once...Clocked via ADAT...I.E just plugged in the cables, selected clock source and DONE.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

the BRC is designed to be the wordclock master.

it sends clock to the adats which are slaves.

in my computer rigg i clock the Mac to the Adats and everything works beautifully.

i would suggest you try it that way and see how it goes.

Buddha
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
the BRC is designed to be the wordclock master.

it sends clock to the adats which are slaves.

in my computer rigg i clock the Mac to the Adats and everything works beautifully.

i would suggest you try it that way and see how it goes.

Buddha
Where do you see any mention of the BRC controller? Also. It doesn't necessarily have to be the master. Back when the studio I worked at twenty-plus years ago, we ran a Motu 2408 as the master and had the BRC at the end of the chain (after an 02r).
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Why not clock via ADAT?
Agreed, just clocking to the ADAT signal would work fine too, but the OP was asking about using two ADAT devices and in that case I would go with dedicated Wordclock BNC lines. The ID44's manual states:

"If you are using multiple devices then it
is recommended to use the BNC word
clock output"

Not sure the technical reasons why(stability?), but given the fact that to clock both Optotube's via ADAT, you would have to use 4 light-pipe cables anyways, so it's the same amount of cabling to use Wordclock BNC. I would think 2 quality optical cables and two quality BNC cables and terminator, would be cheaper than 4 quality light-pipe cables, plus the OP might already have the BNC cables anyways, so that would make using BNC a no-brainer.
Old 6th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbend View Post
You would go Wordclock out of the Audient via BNC, into the Wordclock IN of the first Optotube and then run a 2nd BNC cable from the Wordclock Thru to the Wordclock IN of the 2nd optotube. You then need to terminate that workdclock chain, so you need to get a 75ohm BNC terminator and attach that to the 2nd Optotube's Wordclock Thru.

Set both optotubes to slave to Wordclock IN and everything should be clocked together.

Thank you!! Okay, so I CAN clock thru, good to know!

Clocking via ADAT seems to get a bad rap when using multiple digital devices all at once. Especially when your tracking using all 20 inputs in a live recording situation.

I’ll buy a terminator, two bnc cables, and i’ll buy four ADAT’s to try out the other option.
Old 6th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbend View Post
Agreed, just clocking to the ADAT signal would work fine too, but the OP was asking about using two ADAT devices and in that case I would go with dedicated Wordclock BNC lines. The ID44's manual states:

"If you are using multiple devices then it
is recommended to use the BNC word
clock output"

Not sure the technical reasons why(stability?), but given the fact that to clock both Optotube's via ADAT, you would have to use 4 light-pipe cables anyways, so it's the same amount of cabling to use Wordclock BNC. I would think 2 quality optical cables and two quality BNC cables and terminator, would be cheaper than 4 quality light-pipe cables, plus the OP might already have the BNC cables anyways, so that would make using BNC a no-brainer.

I actually am changing it up from a system where I had 24 analog inputs so I never needed anything digital related except a USB cable.

I’m gonna buy it all - then I’ll have two spare ADATS in case of some failure.
I usually buy extra cables anyway. Plus, these cables are wayyy cheaper than the custom made DSUB cables I had made for the 24 tracker set up, so I can easily fund the cable buys buy selling those or trading.

Thank you!!
Old 6th October 2019
Final add on Q

What if I bought an Apogee AD16X and did all TRS to DSUB of my preamps and took advantage of the Apogee soft limiting and “colorizing?”

I am tempted to buy one solid azz converter and clock that one device...?
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post
What if I bought an Apogee AD16X and did all TRS to DSUB of my preamps and took advantage of the Apogee soft limiting and “colorizing?”

I am tempted to buy one solid azz converter and clock that one device...?
Assuming money is not an issue then I would go with which ever route gives you the best conversion and clocking. Both ideas will work but go with the best quality you can afford.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search