The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Revert Bounced Track Back to Logic Project?
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Revert Bounced Track Back to Logic Project?

Long story short, I accidentally deleted my most recent backup of a project, and I only have a bounced .m4a track of a previous backup. I want to go back in and edit a lot of what's in the track. Is there any way to sort of unbounce the track so that it's not a single .m4a file, but it's a .logicx project again, with separate tracks and regions and whatnot?
Old 3rd October 2019
Nope, its impossible. You cannot take out the eggs, baking soda and flour in an already baked loaf of bread.

FYI: You said you deleted a back-up, so you still have the original project. So just go in there and get your tracks. A back-up is a 2nd copy, so you have the 1st copy. right?
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Unfortunately, no. I thought I made a copy of my most recent version and then deleted the copy once I backed it up to a cloud storage, but I actually didn't make a copy and I deleted the original files I had on my computer before I realized. And now for some reason the file I updated to the cloud is corrupted and won't download (currently contacting customer service about that...).
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Head

Sign up for an online backup service like Backblaze. It's worth $5 a month to be able to go back to previous versions (up to a certain time limit of course.)
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross49 View Post
Unfortunately, no. I thought I made a copy of my most recent version and then deleted the copy once I backed it up to a cloud storage, but I actually didn't make a copy and I deleted the original files I had on my computer before I realized. And now for some reason the file I updated to the cloud is corrupted and won't download (currently contacting customer service about that...).
We have all done it and we have all learned form it. Next time always check your back-ups to see if they work and always have 3 copies of every project and have one kept off site in case of fire or theft.

FYI: If you just deleted it form your PC like you said and did nothing else, then its in your TRASH BIN. Go in there and restore it.
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross49 View Post
Long story short, I accidentally deleted my most recent backup of a project, and I only have a bounced .m4a track of a previous backup. I want to go back in and edit a lot of what's in the track. Is there any way to sort of unbounce the track so that it's not a single .m4a file, but it's a .logicx project again, with separate tracks and regions and whatnot?
No, you cannot 'unbounce' the m4a. It is just a recording of the stereo signal that you sent to the speakers that afternoon.

There do exist audio-separation programs that will extract sounds by category. ADX STEMS will separate out Vocal, Drums and Everything Else. Izotope RX 7 will give you those 3, plus bass. But you must understand these are separations, not your original tracks 'back'. When recombined at unity gain, the separations will add back up to the original stereo file, but in pure isolation they are usually artifact-laden and kind of weird.

I have used these programs to do things like lower the acoustic guitar bleed in a singer/songwriter's vocal mic. If I needed to get rid of the acoustic guitar altogether, the vocal stem all by itself would sound very weird. Little bits of it would be missing and little bits of the guitar would sneak through. It's not really like getting your tracks "back".

You might be able to get the "bass" but you could never get back the DI bass vs the miked amp bass. You could get "drums" but not the overheads vs the snare close mic.

As for things like regions and clips, plug-in settings, automation and so on - no way. That information was never put into the bounce in the first place. You can't even transfer that data from one brand of DAW to the other - even when you do have the session file.

If I were you, I would chalk it up to experience and re-record the song. Consider the first one "practice", and maybe you can make the re-do even better than the original.
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Since you are using a Mac you might also want to look into Disk Drill. It will allow you to recover files that you have already erased. The longer its been since you erased em the harder they are to recover.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search