The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problem sending audio from Logic into interface into desk and back!
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Problem sending audio from Logic into interface into desk and back!

Hello,

A while back I send some audio tracks from Logic X into my focusrite scarlett 18i20 into my allen and heath zed 24 mixing desk with various effects and then back again. It sounded good and I like using the desks EQ along with an outboard reverb.

This is how I set it up
1- sent audio out of Logic X into focusrite via USB
2 - in Logic sent the audio to outputs 3-4
3 - from output 3-4 had cable going into 2 channels on my desk.
4 - have 2 cables from main outputs of desk going back into input 1-2
5 - speakers are outputting through monitor outputs on Focusrite
6 - have a delay and a reverb pedal in my auxs to affect the audio

Now the problem was that when I had the Logic track sending to output 3-4 I could not hear anything from the monitors. When I had it set to stereo out I could hear fine and record as well as get the effects. But I was getting a feedback loop from the delay. I wondered why when I had it set up for the output 3-4 I was hearing anything and when it was stereo I was hearing it with effects but the delay was not producing rhythmic effects but a sort of ghostly hum. I tried three different effects pedals as well.

Any ideas please?
Old 29th September 2019
Quote:
Now the problem was that when I had the Logic track sending to output 3-4 I could not hear anything from the monitors
Because your monitors are hooked up to outputs 1-2
Quote:
When I had it set to stereo out I could hear fine and record as well as get the effects. But I was getting a feedback loop from the delay.
You should prob make subgroup outs in your DAW. Just send the track you want to output 3-4 and send the rest to outputs 1-2.

Think of it like Re-amping. That is basically what you are doing anyways, but with effects.

FYI: MY DAW compensates for external hardware. It has specific outs. I don't know about your DAW. You may have to manually compensates for the latency. I would refer to the manual for thast.
Old 30th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Because your monitors are hooked up to outputs 1-2

You should prob make subgroup outs in your DAW. Just send the track you want to output 3-4 and send the rest to outputs 1-2.

Think of it like Re-amping. That is basically what you are doing anyways, but with effects.

FYI: MY DAW compensates for external hardware. It has specific outs. I don't know about your DAW. You may have to manually compensates for the latency. I would refer to the manual for thast.

Thanks very much will try this and see what happens! I knew it was something simple.
Old 3rd October 2019
Did it work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search