The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connection confusion. Noob here. Please help
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

Connection confusion. Noob here. Please help

Hi all, iam an old member here but a noob to home recording. I have been a musician and just now setting up home studio.

My equipments

.1. PC with Maudio audiophile 2496 ( 2I/2O) internal soundcard connected to PCI slot in my PC with cubase
2. Yamaha Mg10xu 10 channel mixer stereo output of which i have connected to my MAudio 2496 soundcard as input (RCA)
2. Motif XF6 synth which acts as my midi vsti instruments trigger/ Cubase controller through Direct USB to PC and also have connected the audio out to my yamaha mixer to record onboard sounds
3. Yamaha PSR 2000 connected to my mixer to record audio
4. The output from my computer is fed to my SM audio nano patch passive volume controller, and its output is connected to a pair of Yamaha HS80M studio monitors
5 Audio technica at2035 condenser mic connected to XLR input of mixer

I face a few problems

1. Since i have an soundcard connected to my computer, i have to boot up my computer each time to even hear the audio in monitor if i play my keyboards. If i connect my monitor to my mixer directly there is a problem, the tracks created with VSTi in cubase as a part of mix will not come as output to monitor. I dont know if i can connect the output from soundcard to my mixer? If so where? As an input in one of the channels? Would that not mean it will go back to computer for processing again as my mixer output goes back to daw

2. When i record vocal tracks it also outputs realtime to my monitors. I dont have a separate vocal booth. So how to route this connection too in such a way that i can cut off the monitor to preven bleed.?

3. I also need to feed click tracks or backing tracks to singers through in ear monitor. How to do it.

Experts here kindly advice. Im in a fix.

Below is a Line drawing of the connections

I dont know if i can post this here. Moderators can you move to appropriate subform if it is wrong?

Thank you

Drashkum
Attached Thumbnails
Connection confusion. Noob here. Please help-image-1.jpg  
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Center your setup around the external mixer. Make connections to and from your soundcard to the mixer. Connect monitors to the mixer.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Center your setup around the external mixer. Make connections to and from your soundcard to the mixer. Connect monitors to the mixer.
Thats what i am trying to figure out. I need my motif synth to trigger vsti in DAW too and the output of the VSTI track needs to be heard on the monitor. If i take an output from the soundcard where should i plugin in my yamaha mg10xu mixer? If i plugin as a input channel wont it be routed back to the DAW again..?

If i Plugin the monitor to the mixer i will be hearing the realtime outputs of my keyboards only not the mix from my daw
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Thats what i am trying to figure out. I need my motif synth to trigger vsti in DAW too and the output of the VSTI track needs to be heard on the monitor. If i take an output from the soundcard where should i plugin in my yamaha mg10xu mixer? If i plugin as a input channel wont it be routed back to the DAW again..?

If i Plugin the monitor to the mixer i will be hearing the realtime outputs of my keyboards only not the mix from my daw
Motif to VST is MIDI (USB) and has nothing to do with audio.
Soundcard outputs to mixer will allow you to hear anything in your DAW.
Any stereo input or pair of mono inputs on the mixer for your soundcard outputs.
Routing is done in Cubase as is input and channel monitoring.
With the soundcard and synths all connected to the mixer, you will hear everything.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Motif to VST is MIDI (USB) and has nothing to do with audio.
Soundcard outputs to mixer will allow you to hear anything in your DAW.
Any stereo input or pair of mono inputs on the mixer for your soundcard outputs.
Routing is done in Cubase as is input and channel monitoring.
With the soundcard and synths all connected to the mixer, you will hear everything.
Ok, Then should i plugin the output from soundcard as channel line inputs in my mixer. Wont the same audio from inputs go back to the cubase?
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, Then should i plugin the output from soundcard as channel line inputs in my mixer. Wont the same audio from inputs go back to the cubase?
If you engage monitoring on the input channel, yes. With the mixer and soundcard that you are using you have limited flexibility in what you can do. Remember that you also have a USB connection for the mixer audio that can be used. Good luck.
Old 29th September 2019
Quote:
Then should i plugin the output from soundcard as channel line inputs in my mixer. Wont the same audio from inputs go back to the cubase?
Yes you can and no it wont, as long as you configure the mixer not to go back into soundcard. Its all about how you route and configure them. Just because you have something going into a mixer, doesn't meant it goes out only one way. Its a mixer and mixers are made for routing things differently.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Yes you can and no it wont, as long as you configure the mixer not to go back into soundcard. Its all about how you route and configure them. Just because you have something going into a mixer, doesn't meant it goes out only one way. Its a mixer and mixers are made for routing things differently.
Wow. This is so nice. This yamaha mg10xu is a basuc mixer. I dont know if it does that. Can you help Me properly routing and configuring things please?
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

There are no routing options on this mixer.
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you help Me properly routing and configuring things please?
Instruments to mixer.
Mixer USB to computer.
Monitor out mixer to monitors.

9/10 - USB switch in, TO MON (switch out)
STEREO MUTE switch off

Use in and outputs of the mixer in DAW.
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Instruments to mixer.
Mixer USB to computer.
Monitor out mixer to monitors.

9/10 - USB switch in, TO MON (switch out)
STEREO MUTE switch off

Use in and outputs of the mixer in DAW.

Wow this is amazing. Will do this first thing in morning and report back. I need to get USB cables for it.

Thank you
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

No need to "quote".
Old 30th September 2019
Gear Head

One last doubt. I have been using Maudio Asio drivers for vsti because the asio in cubase caused severe latency. Now if if totally cut off the audiophile2496 and what drivers ASIO should i use for low latency?
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Use drivers for the mixer.
https://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/pr...downloads.html
Old 30th September 2019
Gear Head

Thank you guys. You guys are awesome. Trying to fish for a good quality USB A to B cable. Will get back to you all after doing all things you guys said.

Thanks a lot. Im indebted to u guys

Drashkum
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head

Thanks a lot guys

Thank you guys everything is sorted. I have plugged in the output from Maudio audiophile 2496 to 9/10 channels and used the To Mon button. Now all is routed via the mixer.

Should i keep the SM audio Nano patch or sell it
Attached Thumbnails
Connection confusion. Noob here. Please help-img_20191002_104705.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search