The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
5.1 surround set-up
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

5.1 surround set-up

Hello
I am a total newbie in surround mixing and I have a few questions regarding 5.1 surround set-up in my future studio:

1. What audio interface should I choose? I want to be able to switch fast between stereo and surround. There will be 5 speakers and a sub for surround and other 2 speakers for stereo and I want to be able to switch between stereo and surround. Also I want to be able to have headphones too connected.

2. Do I need to connect 2 audio interfaces and switch between them in my DAW (surround and stereo)? Is this a better option for my problem?

3. Also is this a good choise for my surround set-up and stereo set-up:
- 5*Adam Audio T7V + Adam Audio Sub8 - surround set-up
- 2*Adam Audio A7X - stereo set-up

I know there are a few questions to be answered but I need to start buying and I want to be sure I don't do this wrong.

Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I single audio interface will work if you select properly.
You don't need to have separate stereo and 5.1 monitors if you select a proper monitor controller.

The first thing to consider in your planning stages is to set a budget for your components.
Start there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardGore View Post
Hello
I am a total newbie in surround mixing and I have a few questions regarding 5.1 surround set-up in my future studio:

1. What audio interface should I choose? I want to be able to switch fast between stereo and surround. There will be 5 speakers and a sub for surround and other 2 speakers for stereo and I want to be able to switch between stereo and surround. Also I want to be able to have headphones too connected.
Like David wrote, it would be good if you gave people a budget. Without a budget the sky's the limit.

Also like David wrote, you can actually set it up so you use your front Left Right as both stereo L/R and surround L/R. It really depends on what you intend to do with that system.

You also should let us know what software you'll be using. If you're using something like Nuendo there's a very easy way to set it all up so you can switch with a key command between 5.1, 2.0 and headphones. You can also set that up to automatically down-convert 5.1 to stereo.

In a lot of other cases people take care of these things using an external control room.. uh.. controller.. monitor controller.. They typically allow you to switch between multiple sets of inputs and outputs. So using one of those you can have your interface set up so that outputs 1-6 is the surround paths, and 7-8 is for stereo.

Quote:
2. Do I need to connect 2 audio interfaces and switch between them in my DAW (surround and stereo)? Is this a better option for my problem?
It is not a better option in my opinion.

Quote:
3. Also is this a good choise for my surround set-up and stereo set-up:
- 5*Adam Audio T7V + Adam Audio Sub8 - surround set-up
- 2*Adam Audio A7X - stereo set-up
I actually don't know those speakers, but looking at the price and size I see there's a $500 difference between them (each). So you would pay the same for the front three T7v as for one A7X. If I was you, and assuming the A7X is $500 'better', I'd rather just skip those front three T7v and buy a third A7x instead. My bet is that you'll benefit more from having three A7X acting as both Left/Right/Center in your 5.1 setup and as Left/Right when using stereo, and then actually have the 'lesser' T7V for surrounds.

Now, a lot of people will probably say that ideally you should have the same speakers throughout your 5.1 system, but a lot of people actually don't. My hunch is that imaging is going to be more important for the front three than the surrounds (at the very least for post production (i.e. tv/film)) and that you'll be fine with that for now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you guys for your fast response.

- My budget for speakers, sub, headphones and interface is around 3200$-3500$.
- As a DAW I will use Cubase Pro 10
- I think your idea with 3 Adam A7X in front and 2 Adam T7V in the rear is a good one. Thanks mattiasnyc for that!

After I've done a little more research I've come with this set-up:

1. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
2. 3 x Adam A7X for FL, FC and FR
3. 2 x Adam T7V for RL and RR
4. Adam Audio Sub 8
5. Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro / 32 headphones

Is there any reason to reconsider this list? What do you think?
Also what is your thoughts about Adam A7x for this purpose (surround mixing)?

Thank you! I apreciate any tips.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
- As a DAW I will use Cubase Pro 10
Here's a link to the "help" page on Steinberg's website, it's about the Control Room part of the software:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v1...ol_room_c.html

You can read through that section and if you have questions feel free to ask here, in the Cubase section or on the official Steinberg forum.

Quote:
what is your thoughts about Adam A7x for this purpose (surround mixing)?
Well, what are you going to mix? Music for artists?

Also, think through all the routing you might want to do so you have your bases covered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search