The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
room mics vs OH mics placement
Old 22nd September 2019
Gear Head

room mics vs OH mics placement

Hi guys,

I am new to drums recording and have a question regarding placement of room mics in relationship to my overhead mics.

As you can see on this cartoon, I am going to use a spaced pair configuration for my overhead mics and also want to use a spaced pair configuration for my room mics. With my overheads mics, I want to center the kick and snare as you can see on the cartoon. However, I am wondering whether I should use version 1 of the cartoon for my room mics or version 2.
I feel like version 1 will "kill" the centering of the kick and snare in the stereo image while version 2 will keep the centering just fine, but I am not sure what will give me the best results. I do not have access to the room for a week to test it, and would like to know what you think.

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
room mics vs OH mics placement-room-oh-mics.jpg  
Old 22nd September 2019
Lives for gear

if there are 2 cymbals on 1 side i place my over bet the 2..listen to the song being played and adjust if necessary to get a good blend bet the 2

plus i sometimes use 2 sets of room mikes..one set 8 foot or more over the snare and fl tom the other 10-14 foot from kit and at middle of rack tom height
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Head

Thanks !

Anybody else has a thought on this ?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Nut

It's probably not going to matter much depending on how far away your room mics are. Try it and see which one you like better.
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Have you thought about using an LDC with an omni setting and doing a mono room mic. If you have good overhead placement your stereo image should stay intact just fine and just blend in the mono room for the drum tone.
Old 25th September 2019
Lives for gear

if i'm using a modified l/c/r gj setup (and of course depending on the room), i may not necessarily even need or want any room mics - if using some however, it's often a single mono mic in front of the kit plus a very widely spaced/highly uncorrelated pair at large distance.
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
if i'm using a modified l/c/r gj setup (and of course depending on the room), i may not necessarily even need or want any room mics - if using some however, it's often a single mono mic in front of the kit plus a very widely spaced/highly uncorrelated pair at large distance.
I do a modified Glynn Johns 2 wa74jrs in standard GJ configuration. Then beta52 on the kick, top and bottom snares sm57 top and a sm81 bottom. 421's on the toms and a mono akg c414buls in omni in what ever spot out of the room that I am digging the way the kit sounds.
Old 25th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
I do a modified Glynn Johns 2 wa74jrs in standard GJ configuration. Then beta52 on the kick, top and bottom snares sm57 top and a sm81 bottom. 421's on the toms and a mono akg c414buls in omni in what ever spot out of the room that I am digging the way the kit sounds.
no need for mics on toms, snare bottom (and not necessarily on hats and actually snare top either with a well tuned kit and a drummer who's got good balance) in my case...

...so this is an l/c/r setup with an additional .1 mic so to speak - very simple yet highly effective even without any additional mic!

p.s. not really a newbie thing but gets used by some seasoned engineers like me

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 26th September 2019 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: edited and p.s. added
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon06 View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to drums recording and have a question regarding placement of room mics in relationship to my overhead mics.

As you can see on this cartoon, I am going to use a spaced pair configuration for my overhead mics and also want to use a spaced pair configuration for my room mics. With my overheads mics, I want to center the kick and snare as you can see on the cartoon. However, I am wondering whether I should use version 1 of the cartoon for my room mics or version 2.
I feel like version 1 will "kill" the centering of the kick and snare in the stereo image while version 2 will keep the centering just fine, but I am not sure what will give me the best results. I do not have access to the room for a week to test it, and would like to know what you think.

Thanks !
The only thing with picture number 2 is the kick may become unbalanced in the room mics because from the picture the kick is facing one mic and the other mic is picking up the side. Won’t know until you try, could sound cool.
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
no need for mics on toms, snare bottom (and not necessarily on hats and actually snare top either with a well tuned kit an a drummer who's got good balance) in my case...

...so it's a l/c/r setup with an addition .1 mic so to speak!
I grab all of it. But dont always use it all. Depends on the song and style of drummer im recording. I do find the bottom snare mic very useful. It allows me to add more of the snare wire sound to the snare. And can also be used to make a neat gated snare sound.
Old 25th September 2019
Lives for snowflakes

I plan to drive from Flagstaff Arizona to Chicago Illinois.

I plan to leave at 7:30am.

Which way should I turn the wheel at 4:32pm that evening?
(I'm driving a 2011 Toyota Camry, and using 93 octane gasoline, if that helps.)
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Addict
Don’t turn continue forward

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search