The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mixing software with lots of pre sets
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

mixing software with lots of pre sets

Hi
I am looking for a piece of / combination of software to mix (i.e. e.q. / compress) my tracks. I could do with it having lots of great pre sets. I really do not want to spend a long time on the mixing process. The reason for this is that I primarily enjoy composing and that is what I want to focus on. Previous experience has taught me that having to spend too much time on the mixing process really bores me. I am willing to compromise slightly on the overall sound in order to be able to finish tracks and move onto the next one (from a hobbyist perspective). I intend to send my tracks off to be mastered.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Paul
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
That's why they used to have musicians and engineers in the old days.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Yeah, times change. Any Suggestions for software?

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
Most DAWs have track presets and lots of plug-ins to.
Al depends on what you put it in and if you like it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Every single recording is different, and everyone has different taste. So it's hard to see mix 'presets' working.
I personally hate mixing and editing my work, but I see it as part of the job. Life cannot be all fun, especially if you want to get anywhere.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
Yeah, times change. Any Suggestions for software?

Thanks
Most DAWs have presets.

If you get bored but tend to compose a similar type of music most of the time then perhaps sacrifice a bit of time and 'fun' on a couple of songs and get them to a decent place and then save your own presets and create templates for your mixing. This could include anything from preset virtual instruments to preset processing to routing and 'mastering' plugins.

It seriously can save you a lot of time. Of course I'm taking what you say exactly at face value - you just want decent mixes because you're a composer, not a mix engineer.

The other thing I'd recommend is that if you have someone who mixes and is trustworthy you just send them the stuff and have them mix it for you - for fun or for free/practice, if you're not making money off of the mixes.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
Hi
I am looking for a piece of / combination of software to mix (i.e. e.q. / compress) my tracks. I could do with it having lots of great pre sets. I really do not want to spend a long time on the mixing process. The reason for this is that I primarily enjoy composing and that is what I want to focus on. Previous experience has taught me that having to spend too much time on the mixing process really bores me. I am willing to compromise slightly on the overall sound in order to be able to finish tracks and move onto the next one (from a hobbyist perspective). I intend to send my tracks off to be mastered.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Paul
You cant rely on the mastering engineer to fix what should have been fixed by the mix engineer. If you dont want to do it yourself outsource the mixing or do as mattiasnyc suggested. In the end you will be happier.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
Most plugins have presets, at least most that I've tried (and I've tried a lot). As suggested or implied above, try the ones that came with your DAW. People often overlook them or snub them because "they can't be much good they came with the DAW" and "you get what you pay for" and similar nonsensical BS. There are also many good free ones with presets too. As to which, depends on what kind of plugin you're talking about. There are many threads here discussing them at length FYI.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
Hi
I am looking for a piece of / combination of software to mix (i.e. e.q. / compress) my tracks. I could do with it having lots of great pre sets.
There are no 'great' presets in terms of EQ (or compression), because every track is different, as a starting point. So a preset boosting or cutting of a certain frequency because this track is the "bass guitar" makes no sense. The EQ preset might be boosting a frequency you already have plenty of - because the EQ does not "know" how you recorded that bass.

Was it a Fender bass? A Rickenbacker? Pick or fingers? Amp or DI? Or both? Settings on the amp? Condenser or dynamic mic? Which mic? Where did you place the mic? Or maybe you used a keyboard bass? How can an EQ be preset to boost or cut 'frequency X' when it doesn't know what the bass sounds like?

Similarly for compression. How loud the instrument was tracked, what the dynamics inherent in the performance was etc etc. You really can't "trust" the presets in these plug-ins.

Additionally, mixing is largely about how every instrument affects every other instrument. Where it "sits" relative to the other parts. A decision here will have cascading effects there and vice-versa. The presets don't "know" what the other presets are doing.

Reverb presets are perhaps a bit more useful because reverb is usually a "backdrop" for the entire song and it is applied to all the instruments in the band.

Quote:
The reason for this is that I primarily enjoy composing and that is what I want to focus on. Previous experience has taught me that having to spend too much time on the mixing process really bores me.
IMO, it is great that you are this self-aware and know where your strengths lie and what you enjoy most. Far too many people end up going down the rabbit hole learning tasks that are to them really just a means to an end.

Quote:
I am willing to compromise slightly on the overall sound in order to be able to finish tracks and move onto the next one (from a hobbyist perspective).
Mixing with presets will be more than a "slight" compromise, I believe.

Quote:
I intend to send my tracks off to be mastered.
I agree with HeadlessDinosaur, don't count on a mastering engineer "saving" your bad mix. I think you would be much better off sending it out to be mixed and asking the mix engineer to do a bit of "junior mastering" for the time being. If you decide on a serious release, you could always remaster those tracks - together.

Another tack would be instead of "sending it off" to be mixed, bring your tracks to a studio and sit in on the mix. If you go to a mixer that uses the same software as you own, you could use his mix as a partial template , a starting point. At least for songs you have that are similarly tracked. Even if you don't always use this mixer, or have wildly different-sounding songs, you may learn some tips and tricks that could make self-mixing less of a chore for you.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Thanks a lot for the informed responses, a lot to think about. Out of curiosity what should I expect to pay (i know there will be many variables) to have somebody mix and master a track?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
Thanks a lot for the informed responses, a lot to think about. Out of curiosity what should I expect to pay (i know there will be many variables) to have somebody mix and master a track?
I would highly recommend using seperate mixing amd mastering engineers. The more fresh ears the better. Mixing projects can range greatly. But for good solid mixes I would expect 50 to 100 bucks a song. Could possibly get it cheaper if you mix an albums worth of material rather than song by song. Mastering when done by the project is usually 15 to 25 bucks per stereo minuet.

I do mixing higher. PM me for more info if you are interested.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

I think what you are after are plug ins that give great sound without much fuss, when it comes to this there ARE plug ins that are better.

You can take a great mix engineer with bad plug ins and they won't shine like they will with good plug ins. They may max out balance and perform compression and EQ in the most functional way but good plug ins will be musical.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
I think what you are after are plug ins that give great sound without much fuss, when it comes to this there ARE plug ins that are better.

You can take a great mix engineer with bad plug ins and they won't shine like they will with good plug ins. They may max out balance and perform compression and EQ in the most functional way but good plug ins will be musical.

I call BS on this. Jimi Hendrix will sound like Jimi Hendrix whether he is on a strat or a cheap knock off. A good musician will sound good reguardless of the instrument its self. Same goes for engineers. You either have the talent or not. Good plugs wont fix no talent or a lack of will to get it right.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Exactly
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Try Izotope Neutron and Nectar (and Ozone)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Try Izotope Neutron and Nectar (and Ozone)
The full version of Ozone 8 is freakin awesome. Love the tape module.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
I call BS on this. Jimi Hendrix will sound like Jimi Hendrix whether he is on a strat or a cheap knock off. A good musician will sound good reguardless of the instrument its self. Same goes for engineers. You either have the talent or not. Good plugs wont fix no talent or a lack of will to get it right.
A bad sounding reverb will sound bad no matter who is turning the dials.

A compressor that lacks character or transparent will sound that way no matter who is turning the dials.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie View Post
Hi
I am looking for a piece of / combination of software to mix (i.e. e.q. / compress) my tracks. I could do with it having lots of great pre sets. I really do not want to spend a long time on the mixing process.
I work with several people like you. They track their records and I mix them.

One guy came up with the concept, which I fully embrace, of having me mix his record in his home studio, entirely ITB using only his gear. He kinda peeks over my shoulder from time to time and asks questions. He's also picked up enough by this time that when a mix is "finished" and then he wants to change a lyric or something, he can do a save-as, make the change, and incorporate the new version with the existing automation and not noticeably mess things up. Saves him money, saves me a two-hour drive in LA traffic.

He's pretty much come to the conclusion, though, that he'll never really be a mixer and finds the best results come from letting the collaboration continue in its present fashion.

You may have more of a knack for mixing than he does.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
A bad sounding reverb will sound bad no matter who is turning the dials.

A compressor that lacks character or transparent will sound that way no matter who is turning the dials.
I agree but a bad sounding reverb or a compressor that lacks character will still come out better with a person who is skilled at what they do vs someone who isnt or doesnt have the desire to do it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
That's why they used to have musicians and engineers in the old days.
Lol

GET PERFECT ABS IN JUST FIVE MINUTES A DAY WITH OUR NUTRIMAX ELECTROSHOCK SYSTEM! WHY BOTHER WORKING OUT IN THE GYM EVERYDAY WHEN YOU CAN GET THE RESULTS YOU DESERVE FOR JUST $15 PER MONTH

WHY BOTHER LEARNING HOW TO EXERCISE WHEN OUR MACHINES CAN DO IT FOR YOU? WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE GYM LIKE ALL THOSE OTHER GYM RATS? WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO WAIT? GET RESULTS FAST AND GET THE LOOK YOU WANT FOR JUST $15 PER MONTH

TIRED OF WORKING OUT? TRIED EVERYTHING? OUR UNIQUE SYSTEM DELIVERS RESULTS FAST WITH ZERO EFFORT! AMAZE YOUR FRIENDS
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
I call BS on this. Jimi Hendrix will sound like Jimi Hendrix whether he is on a strat or a cheap knock off. A good musician will sound good reguardless of the instrument its self. Same goes for engineers. You either have the talent or not. Good plugs wont fix no talent or a lack of will to get it right.
I think you misunderstood what he said. He said someone mixing will sound better with better plugins than bad ones, which really is stating the obvious, but IMO the diff will be minimal. Basically I think you/he/we are in violent agreement.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
A bad sounding reverb will sound bad no matter who is turning the dials.
I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad sounding reverb." Some will work better on certain kinds of songs or music than others, but that's where the skill of the user comes in, to turn those dials to make it better (or to try another one altogether).
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

I know what you want because my son went through this.

The short answer is this - If your primary objective is to just "get the song out of your head" in a decent sounding way, then any DAW will do. I started him on Garage Band, then Logic - because they have the widest variety of good sounding instruments, presets, sound libraries - and is Mac like, quite intuitive to use. Plug in a mic, instruments and go.

Do not in expect that to be master'able unless your bar is very low or you are doing grunge music (just a joke!!).

But the issue here is your expectations - you should not be disappointed with this, nor your results - because that was not your stated primary objective. You got the song out of your head in an acceptable way.

More or less you want a decent demo, and you could get that.

Mixing is not a preset thing, it is an art, and should be respected as such. If you do not enjoy the mixing process, hire a producer who has good resources and can put you in a decent studio with decent engineers.

There is very little in-between here. The actual sound, mix, and mastering results are directly proportionate to the effort/knowledge and skill put into it.

I look at it like this - if you need transportation, a sound second hand car will achieve that goal. But don't confuse yourself and think that even if it is a old American muscle car, that it will keep up with a Lambo because your friend who learnt how on YouTube, added a Nitro bottle. It at some point could, but you have to get your hands dirty, or hire someone who knows how to achieve THAT goal. Which wasn't your goal in the first place.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad sounding reverb." Some will work better on certain kinds of songs or music than others, but that's where the skill of the user comes in, to turn those dials to make it better (or to try another one altogether).
Come on, bill... your parenthetical addition indicates that some reverbs AREN’T really better than no reverb at all. The stock reverbs on Cubase require a lot of massaging to get just above the acceptable line... but that might be “operator error”. I have been much happier with Slate’s offerings.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Not tried this personally but it might be worth looking into: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/beh...assistant.html
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Come on, bill... your parenthetical addition indicates that some reverbs AREN’T really better than no reverb at all. The stock reverbs on Cubase require a lot of massaging to get just above the acceptable line... but that might be “operator error”. I have been much happier with Slate’s offerings.
? Agree to disagree, generally speaking. My parenthetical only means some reverbs are better served in some situations than others and one should never limit themselves to just one. It's all about the specifics. I can't speak to Cubase...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Quote:
A bad sounding reverb will sound bad no matter who is turning the dials.

A compressor that lacks character or transparent will sound that way no matter who is turning the dials.
These are all opinions. What you think sounds bad can sound good to someone. Its all about personnel preferences and the sounds of the original tracks you are processing them through.

Its like a painting. Some people will love it and some will hate it and some will say 'Hehhh its ok' The same goes for the tools we use for music production. A

ANY PLUGIN can be good or bad, depending on the source track and personnel preferences and how you set it.

Now days, all plugins can make great sounding mixes. There are no good and Bad plugins. You use what ever gets you that sound and what ever fits that instrument in that particular mix
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump