The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problem with recording keyboard via midi out
Old 4 weeks ago
If you have to send program change data from FL Studio just to select a sound you want in the keyboard, then I think the keyboard is waaaay too complicated.
I've been using DAWs and keyboards for decades.
I find a sound I like on my keyboard. I select some midi part, I send it on midi ch1 (for example) to the keyboard, the keyboard receives it on midi ch1, and my part plays with the sound I chose.
Simple as....

I always avoid sending program data and the like. I've had problems in the past with midi loops, and also program change data being sent without my wanting it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
If you have to send program change data from FL Studio just to select a sound you want in the keyboard, then I think the keyboard is waaaay too complicated.
I've been using DAWs and keyboards for decades.
I find a sound I like on my keyboard. I select some midi part, I send it on midi ch1 (for example) to the keyboard, the keyboard receives it on midi ch1, and my part plays with the sound I chose.
Simple as....

I always avoid sending program data and the like. I've had problems in the past with midi loops, and also program change data being sent without my wanting it.
I didn't know it will look like that before I bought this keyboard. I thought I'll be able to easily record it as people do with synths. How could I know that some internal architecture got changed and because of I can't do it as everybody did for years...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
Ok fair enough.

Regarding Brad Saucier post.

I've mentioned how to decode the appendix to work out the bank and program change numbers.

Find out how to access that in FL and we might be getting somewhere.

p.s. if Brad is right, this is indeed 48 part multitimbral with up to 16 channels addressed from MIDI and the rest from the internal sequencer which is why it requires banks and program instructions.
Haha and how to access it in FL is exactly what I don't know. I thought you guys had some experience with it before. I'll try my best to find this information somewhere, but I tried already and it's not easy. Somebody would have to have the same problem with synth/keyboard and additionally use FL, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlor View Post
I didn't know it will look like that before I bought this keyboard. I thought I'll be able to easily record it as people do with synths. How could I know that some internal architecture got changed and because of I can't do it as everybody did for years...
Return it and opt for a much simpler keyboard?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Either return the keyboard (it’s expensive and it’s not even semi-weighted) or chew Casio’s ear off – they’re the ones who should tell you how to work with it
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Haha and how to access it in FL is exactly what I don't know. I thought you guys had some experience with it before. I'll try my best to find this information somewhere, but I tried already and it's not easy. Somebody would have to have the same problem with synth/keyboard and additionally use FL, too.
Unfortunately my only experience with FL was about 15 years ago at which point I don't think it could even interface with external gear.

If you'd been using Ableton, Logic, Pro Tool, Cubase, Reaper or whatever I'm sure people here would have better luck guiding you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Unfortunately my only experience with FL was about 15 years ago at which point I don't think it could even interface with external gear.

If you'd been using Ableton, Logic, Pro Tool, Cubase, Reaper or whatever I'm sure people here would have better luck guiding you.
Yeah I guess you're right.

Well I'm not going to sell this keyboard so I will probably write to casio about this and beside that I'll try to find some more help on internet with finding right settings for all this in FL studio.

I read a few topics on FL studio forums and people had similar experiences to which I have now. FL just seem not to support program changes, as every other DAW supports (just like I could see in your picture on imgur).

So it's mainly FLa's fault, not keyboard's.
Old 4 weeks ago
You shouldn't need to transmit midi program changes JUST to be able to play back sounds you like on a keyboard.
I have owned many synths over decades and never once have I had this issue.
So, I would say it's a Casio issue, and maybe the wrong keyboard for you.
Most instruments are plug and play these days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You shouldn't need to transmit midi program changes JUST to be able to play back sounds you like on a keyboard.
I have owned many synths over decades and never once have I had this issue.
So, I would say it's a Casio issue, and maybe the wrong keyboard for you.
Most instruments are plug and play these days.
I wonder if every new synth with 48 part sound engine will have this kind of problem? What would be the solution to it? Only patch scripts, or some vst dedicated for this particular synth?

Until now I didn't know that 48 part and 16 part makes such a difference in workflow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Lightbulb

Quote:
Until now I didn't know that 48 part and 16 part makes such a difference in workflow.
It shouldn't make any difference.

It's all down to how Casio have chosen to implement this.

You should still be able to work it out with a little perseverance.

Have you tried contacting Casio support?

Also have you checked out the fruity loops manual?

https://www.image-line.com/support/f...online_manual/

Check the page on MIDI out, it talks about sending program and bank changes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It shouldn't make any difference.

It's all down to how Casio have chosen to implement this.

You should still be able to work it out with a little perseverance.

Have you tried contacting Casio support?

Also have you checked out the fruity loops manual?

https://www.image-line.com/support/f...online_manual/

Check the page on MIDI out, it talks about sending program and bank changes.
Yeah I contected them yesterday. I'm waiting for their response now.

I've read manual on this and all it says about bank changes is: Bank (Coarse & Fine) - Patch bank number. There are 128 * 128 banks.

I've read also topics on image line's forum. It seems like there's no easy way of making it in FL studio and many people complain about bank changes being hard to do.

I'm going to try use "dashboard" plugin inside FL, it may help, I'll see.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah I contected them yesterday. I'm waiting for their response now.

I've read manual on this and all it says about bank changes is: Bank (Coarse & Fine) - Patch bank number. There are 128 * 128 banks.

I've read also topics on image line's forum. It seems like there's no easy way of making it in FL studio and many people complain about bank changes being hard to do.

I'm going to try use "dashboard" plugin inside FL, it may help, I'll see.
Ok great, fingers crossed and do let us know if you find a solution.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok great, fingers crossed and do let us know if you find a solution.
I've finally figured it out. It works both on Ableton and FL studio, but the difference is that Ableton counts from 1 both in Bank and Program change, but in FL studio in midi out plugin it is counting from 1 for Program change and from 0 for Bank change. So there' the confusion, because you have to take into account how your hardware counts these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search