The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Problem with sending midi to keyboard
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Problem with sending midi to keyboard

Hi.

I connected a keyboard with my PC via midi USB cable and want to send midi form my DAW to keyboard, so is plays the sound I have set on this keyboard which will be then sent to my audio interface and recorded in DAW.

I just want to type midi notes on my computer and record audio from my keyboard with these notes.

I used midi out plugin in FL studio and I got a problem here. The notes from DAW does not seem to leave it, nothing plays. When I choose some preset sound on this midi out plugin, like a piano, it obviously plays there, but what's interesting, the led indicator on my audio interface shows that some signal is passing through. It's like the daw is sending it's signal to my keyboard which in turn sends the signal to audio interface. It's weird.

I'm confused. I can't play my favourite sounds from keyboard this way, but the preset sounds in midi out plugin seems to go through the keyboard and then to audio interface.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could make it work?

I got midi port and channels set up correctly.

My keyboard is Casio CT-X5000, I'm using standard USB printer cable for midi connection.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It's like the daw is sending it's signal to my keyboard which in turn sends the signal to audio interface. It's weird.
Not weird, but normal. If the signal doesn't go to your audio interface, how could you hear the sounds?
Quote:
I'm confused. I can't play my favourite sounds from keyboard this way, but the preset sounds in midi out plugin seems to go through the keyboard and then to audio interface.
Your keyboard can play audio and send MIDI data to your DAW. MIDI data is not sounds, its just DATA. If you want to use the MIDI data going to your DAW, you need something like a soft synth for the MIDI data to trigger and make sounds. Those sounds will in turn go to your audio interface, this is how it works.

I do not know 100% what you are doing, but im assuming this may be your problem...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Not weird, but normal. If the signal doesn't go to your audio interface, how could you hear the sounds?

Your keyboard can play audio and send MIDI data to your DAW. MIDI data is not sounds, its just DATA. If you want to use the MIDI data going to your DAW, you need something like a soft synth for the MIDI data to trigger and make sounds. Those sounds will in turn go to your audio interface, this is how it works.

I do not know 100% what you are doing, but im assuming this may be your problem...
I think you misunderstood me. Maybe I wasn't clear about the issue. I want to record sounds from my keyboard via midi out plugin in FL studio. It's showns in the video I linked. I do everything as it's said, but it does not work as I'd want it to, the only thing that plays is GM (general midi) that is being sent through DAW's midi out plugin to my keyboard, which plays it, and sends it to my audio interface. These are 128 sounds (in general midi) but I want to use my own, internal sounds, not the GM ones.

I asked on casio forum and received an answer like this:

The CT-X3000 and X5000 have a 48 part sound engine rather than the typical 16 parts found on other keyboards. That expanded capability means that MIDI IN addresses 16 parts that are fully independent from the 16 parts that the keyboard is controlling internally. That means tones you select on the keyboard won't select tones for MIDI IN. To select tones for MIDI IN, you'll need to send the bank and program change information from your DAW. The appendix for your keyboard has a list of tones and the appropriate bank and program change information to select each tone. To make things easier, Casio has created patch script files for the CT-X series for several DAW platforms. Those files are intended to be "installed" in the DAW software. Once setup, it allows you to choose tones from within the software without needing to input bank and program change data manually. Unfortunately a patch script for FL Studio is not available. I'm not even sure FL Studio supports patch scripts. I'll link the page with the available patch scripts below in case anyone reading this is using software that patch scripts are available for. Several DAW brands are supported. In the case of using software without a patch script, you'll need to use the CTX appendix and those bank program changes listed for each tone.

So I believe it's the diferent sound engine that's making the problem here. Additionally, my DAW (fl studio) seem to have problems with pointing out bank program changes manually, which makes things even harder.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. Maybe I wasn't clear about the issue. I want to record sounds from my keyboard via midi out
I understand 100%. MIDI is DATA, not sounds. So if you want to record MIDI, you will not be recording sounds. You need something like a soft synth to trigger the MIDI data to make sounds form the MIDI data.

If you want to record sounds (analog), record sounds and not MIDI.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I understand 100%. MIDI is DATA, not sounds. So if you want to record MIDI, you will not be recording sounds. You need something like a soft synth to trigger the MIDI data to make sounds form the MIDI data.

If you want to record sounds (analog), record sounds and not MIDI.
Did you open a link with a video I provided in my first post?

It's exactly what I want to do and it's definitely not recording midi or just recording sound of my keybaord by physically playing it. It's recording keyboard/synth by sending midi message out of DAW to it (which keyboard can translate into real sounds and send to audio interface, of course).
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Did you open a link with a video I provided in my first post?
?? Video?? Link?? You are mistaken.
Quote:
it's recording keyboard/synth by sending midi message out of DAW to it
MIDI is not audio, Its DATA. You cannot play audio with just MIDI.
You need something to trigger the MIDI.

Your keyboard can play audio and transmit MIDI. This is a fact. If you are only transmitting MIDI, like you said, then you will not have any sounds

Reading your other thread's postings from you, i know what your problem is. You are confusing MIDI and Audio and going in circles. Just stop and realize that MIDI is DATA, not audio and you'll be just fine...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
?? Video?? Link?? You are mistaken.

MIDI is not audio, Its DATA. You cannot play audio with just MIDI.
You need something to trigger the MIDI.

Your keyboard can play audio and transmit MIDI. This is a fact. If you are only transmitting MIDI, like you said, then you will not have any sounds

Reading your other thread's postings from you, i know what your problem is. You are confusing MIDI and Audio and going in circles. Just stop and realize that MIDI is DATA, not audio and you'll be just fine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRaeCw7P2Y

That's a video of what I'm trying to do. I created topics elsewhere, too and I included links in them. I forgot this one (topic) does not have one.

I do exactly as guy in the video, except his synth starts playing, mine not. I know midi is not audio. I never said it is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Casio manual page E-65. Connect USB cable. Configure FL to use the Casio USB MIDI driver. Set the Casio and MIDI track in FL to the same MIDI channel. Connect the line outs on the Casio to your audio interface, or whatever audio input device you are using.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Casio manual page E-65. Connect USB cable. Configure FL to use the Casio USB MIDI driver. Set the Casio and MIDI track in FL to the same MIDI channel. Connect the line outs on the Casio to your audio interface, or whatever audio input device you are using.
I did all that, but the problem lies beyond. I have to manually input bank and program changes in my DAW and it seems to have problems with this basic operation (unlike other DAWs). I'm using FL studio.

That's where I'm taking bank/patches numbers from:
https://support.casio.com/storage/en...L-1A_2A_EN.pdf
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used midi out plugin in FL studio and I got a problem here. The notes from DAW does not seem to leave it, nothing plays. When I choose some preset sound on this midi out plugin, like a piano, it obviously plays there, but what's interesting, the led indicator on my audio interface shows that some signal is passing through. It's like the daw is sending it's signal to my keyboard which in turn sends the signal to audio interface. It's weird.
- Does your interface have 5 pin MIDI connection ports and is the LED indicator a light that comes on to show MIDI activity? What interface do you have?

- Do you have the interface selected in FL Studio as the MIDI device and not the Casio keyboard? In the FL Studio MIDI Settings the setting for the 'MIDI Hardware Port' should be associated with the keyboard and not the interface. It may read Casio or similar for the output device.

- Can you play a standard MIDI music file loaded into FL and have it play the sounds in the Casio? If not, get this to work first to prove FL can pass MIDI to the Casio.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with sending midi to keyboard-keyboard-usb.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
- Does your interface have 5 pin MIDI connection ports and is the LED indicator a light that comes on to show MIDI activity? What interface do you have?

- Do you have the interface selected in FL Studio as the MIDI device and not the Casio keyboard? In the FL Studio MIDI Settings the setting for the 'MIDI Hardware Port' should be associated with the keyboard and not the interface. It may read Casio or similar for the output device.

- Can you play a standard MIDI music file loaded into FL and have it play the sounds in the Casio? If not, get this to work first to prove FL can pass MIDI to the Casio.
Fl passes signals to the casio I know that because I can play general midi sounds on it, by sending midi signals through DAW to Casio. My Keyboard has these general midi sounds internally and so it plays. But I have many, many more sounds than this, around 800 and I'd want to reach the other ones. I can't and changing banks on midi out plugin does not work.

I'm almost 100% sure the problem is in midi out plugin which does not respond to what I set in "coarse bank" value.

Eeverything is plugged in correctly, midi works in and out. Audio interface is not the issue here. It lights up, because it records these general midi sounds my casio plays.

https://support.casio.com/storage/en...L-1A_2A_EN.pdf

Here I have to take numbers from column 4 and 5 and insert them into DAW. Here's the problem. Many people had this problem in FL studio, too, I saw topics on image line's forum.

Here they are...

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=160286

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=139476

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=149401

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=150130
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Just change bank/patch on the keyboard itself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Just change bank/patch on the keyboard itself.
It's the first thing I did a few days ago when I started struggling with it. It's not going to work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've finally figured it out. It works both on Ableton and FL studio, but the difference is that Ableton counts from 1 both in Bank and Program change, but in FL studio in midi out plugin it is counting from 1 for Program change and from 0 for Bank change. So there' the confusion, because you have to take into account how your hardware counts these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search