The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools with multiple monitors (audio monitors, not displays)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Pro Tools with multiple monitors (audio monitors, not displays)

I can find tons of threads and posts about using Pro Tools with multiple displays. What I cannot find are any commentary about using Pro Tools with studio monitors.

I'm in the process of building out a home studio. I have a set of Adam A7s I picked several years ago, and a friend has offered me a set of Auratone 5C cube monitors as a housewarming gift (or studio warming, as the case may be). I can see theoretically adding another set or two in the eventual future, depending on how things go.

I'm having trouble finding out how this is wired together and ran in the modern Pro Tools world (my last foray into PT was 12-13 years ago). Any suggestions on the topic would be appreciated.
Old 3 weeks ago
If your goal is simply to be able to switch between monitors, the simplest way to do it is with a monitor controller that has more than 1 speaker output path. Something like a Mackie Big Knob or similar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You'll need a monitor switcher/controller. Most common are Mackie Big Knob or Presonus Monitor Station.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses

Are there any controllers that can support more than 3 pairs of studio monitors? And do those controllers that you mentioned (Mackie, Presonus) play nicely with Pro Tools? My ideal would be that I can select monitors from within Pro Tools and/or using the analog controls.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, those controller are hardware. Obviously, the user select the monitors by a simple button press, which I think is more convenient rather than creating multiple outs or messing with interface routing in Pro Tools.
If you needed more outputs, I think surround controllers such as Drawmer MC7.1 offers 4 to 8 pairs of output.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperDC View Post
Are there any controllers that can support more than 3 pairs of studio monitors? And do those controllers that you mentioned (Mackie, Presonus) play nicely with Pro Tools? My ideal would be that I can select monitors from within Pro Tools and/or using the analog controls.

If you want to do it from within protools...

https://neyrinck.com/products/v-mon/overview/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search