The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Double or quad guitar tracking?
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear
Double or quad guitar tracking?

So, I’m recording my band’s songs for a future release. I’m using an 8-string guitar in standard tuning with the 7th in B and 8th in E. The music is not fast but rather groovy, Meshuggah style. Ive always double tracked my guitars like most will do but I want the sound to be big and cut through the mix. Looking at a Meshuggah multitrack, there were way too many takes. 4-5 amps with 4 guitar tracks each, plus DI and room mics recording the room’s sound. I realise that this is one way of doing it, an extreme one. I’m trying to figure out if I should stick to double tracking or go quad tracking, 2 tracks hard panned and the other two panned at 70-80%. When I tried quad tracking, the sound lost its clarity and became sort of blurry. I tracked as precise as I could. Also, although my 8th string is thicker than what it was (.78 instead of .74) to reduce the string from vibrating too much, I still get a chorusy effect as the tuning is not always on point. I’d like to hear how you go about tracking something like this and achieve a big sound but retain the clarity of it. Sorry for the long post but I’ve been struggling with this for weeks now.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Looking at a Meshuggah multitrack

Where'd you find that?

When I tried quad tracking, the sound lost its clarity and became sort of blurry.

That's a timing thing. If you are going to QT, your timing has to be absolutely rock solid - even more so then when doing a DT.

Have you tried diff guitars/amps/settings/etc? That won't really take care of the timing aspect, but may help with the choursy thing you have going on, and might actually get you closer to where you want to be.

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Looking at a Meshuggah multitrack

Where'd you find that?

When I tried quad tracking, the sound lost its clarity and became sort of blurry.

That's a timing thing. If you are going to QT, your timing has to be absolutely rock solid - even more so then when doing a DT.

Have you tried diff guitars/amps/settings/etc? That won't really take care of the timing aspect, but may help with the choursy thing you have going on, and might actually get you closer to where you want to be.

Cheers.
There was a YouTube video long ago but I think they took it down as I can’t find it no more.
I’ve done a lot of takes with different amp/settings as well but although the clarity improves in setting with the pick attack more prominent, the sound is still not as clear as I want it to be
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I want the sound to be big and cut through the mix.
Then more is not the answer. If you quad track and they are not perfectly timed, it will become mud and get burred in the mix.

Double tracking is more than enough to get the guitars to cut through the mix and sound big. You just need to mix the guitars and all the other tracks in such a way to achieve that.

Also, the songs needs to be written and arranged for that also. This is overlooked by most!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search