The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Favorite Artists Vocal Chain - help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My Favorite Artists Vocal Chain - help!

Hi there fellow audio peeps! You know that feeling when you come across a song/artist and their vocal mix sounds so damn good that you fall in love instantly and wanna achieve something like it? Well that's the scenario i'm in...

So to sum it all up, I came across an artist named "Lauv" a while back and specifically his songs called "Chasing Fire", "Enemies" & "Bracelet" the vocals really stand out! they have this almost I would describe in your face but also gritty? not sure if that is the word I'm looking for but you get what I mean!

I was obsessed with finding out how to achieve this vocal sound so I looked everywhere on what equipment he used etc, and to my shock.. for those specific songs he used a Neumann TLM 103 and an Apollo 8p. After finding that out it made even less sense to me since he didn't use any hardware pre or compressor for that big vocal sound?. BUT sure enough after a little more digging and bam! I find out the guy who mixed those songs/vocals I liked specifically was Mark "Spike" Stent, a Grammy award winning producer.

Lastly, I reached out by email to Mark's Management and not to my surprise I received no reply. I'm no star in the business nor do I have connections unfortunately. BUT that's where I wanna ask you guys and get opinions. I realize there is no way of knowing, but if just by ear.. you were to guess what kind of equipment would get that kind of sound out of a TLM 103.. I'm all ears! (sorry for dragging this out) and if you read till this point, Thankyou! all opinions are welcome and I've linked the songs below so you can give a quick listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-BODsf2T68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZoX-10-VMs
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
but if just by ear.. you were to guess what kind of equipment would get that kind of sound out of a TLM 103.. I'm all ears
His vocal sound doesn't come from hardware. No hardware makes a vocal sound.The singer would have that sound with or without hardware..

The sound comes from the singer himself and he layered the hell out of it. The room he recorded in plays a role and the placement of the room plays a role Also used some very short reverb.

If you do not sound like him dry, then you will not sound like him with any kind of mic, hardware, gear or effects.
If you sound like him dry, without effects, then you can sound like him. Its that simple. Nothing complicated
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok... Perhaps I worded something incorrectly. I'm not trying to make my voice sound the same as him. I meant the chain, equipment. I realize different voices have different sound. That being said, if someone likes for example a voice through a 1073 into a tube tech cl1b. Despite different singers this chain has a popular sound and character. THAT is what I'm referring to. Lauv also recorded these vocals in his living room with a Aston Halo. But other than that credit goes to the mixing engineer for the choice of software/hardware reverbs. Also to better understand what I'm meaning, I don't like Lauv's newer vocal sound/mixing. It's still his voice but he is using a different engineer and I don't like that sound as much as these older songs of his. So as mentioned before so I can make this super clear, there is only one Lauv with his voice BUT the chain/character is what I'm after. I'm not trying to replicate a duplicate of his voice obviously lol, that would be silly. I thought that was clear. Why do you think we have popular equipment to this day, neve, chandler. etc cause they all ADD character/sound to the source. - THIS is what I'm referring to, not a robot clone of his voice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search