The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Would a TRS cable going into a patchbay become unbalanced if output was 1/4" TS?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Would a TRS cable going into a patchbay become unbalanced if output was 1/4" TS?

I'm trying to use a patchbay in probably an unconventional way.

There is a long distance between my interface and my amplifier. I could just run an unbalanced signal, but I fear there would be too much interference that would build up in the end.

If I were to add a patchbay, so the long 1/4" TRS run would instead go to the patchbay before the amplifier, would the patchbay keep the signal balanced so I could plug in a TS out of the patchbay? Or would adding an unbalanced cable out of the patchbay cause the whole run to become unbalanced?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
If I were to add a patchbay, so the long 1/4" TRS run would instead go to the patchbay before the amplifier, would the patchbay keep the signal balanced so I could plug in a TS out of the patchbay? Or would adding an unbalanced cable out of the patchbay cause the whole run to become unbalanced?
No. in order to keep a balanced signal balanced, it needs to maintain its integrity of being balanced
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What is unbalanced and what balanced?
You could use an DI box to make a ubalanced output balanced and go to a balanced input.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok, thanks. Do you by chance know of some equipment that could keep the signal balanced for that long run, then I could convert the signal to be unbalanced to go to equipment? I have 24 of these runs to make.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
What is unbalanced and what balanced?
You could use an DI box to make a ubalanced output balanced and go to a balanced input.
The run between the interface and the patchbay would be balanced. Between the patchbay and the amplifier would be unbalanced as I plan to use a TRS to RCA adaptor in order to connect to the amplifier. I'm only using 1 RCA plug to make the signal mono, so that's why I was curious if the patchbay would help me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Is the signal going from interface to amplifier?
Then you could use DI or better, line-level transformer isolation boxes.
Something like ART DTI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Is the signal going from interface to amplifier?
Then you could use DI or better, line-level transformer isolation boxes.
Yes. Thanks, I'll look into those.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The ART DualZ Direct would allow you to run long balanced lines and convert to unbalanced very close to the amplifier. It is under $60 new in the US. BT64 already mentioned using DIs, but this ART converts both channels from balanced to unbalanced in one box.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
Ok, thanks. Do you by chance know of some equipment that could keep the signal balanced for that long run, then I could convert the signal to be unbalanced to go to equipment? I have 24 of these runs to make.
You have that equipment already.
It's your patchbay.

Run balanced cable from interface to patchbay for the long run.
Use unbalanced cable for short run from patchbay to amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
The run between the interface and the patchbay would be balanced. Between the patchbay and the amplifier would be unbalanced as I plan to use a TRS to RCA adaptor in order to connect to the amplifier. I'm only using 1 RCA plug to make the signal mono, so that's why I was curious if the patchbay would help me.
You answered your own question there..!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Run balanced cable from interface to patchbay for the long run.
Use unbalanced cable for short run from patchbay to amp.
It will be all unbalanced then. :/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quetz is incorrect. BT64 is correct.
If you connect a TS (or RCA) cable to a TRS cable without a direct box or transformer, the whole cable run becomes an unbalanced run. You got zero benefit from using a TRS cable, even if it is for most of the run.
A patchbay does not contain transformers, it is just connectors and wires.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You beat me to it.. brainfart, sorry
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks! Just what I needed to know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks to Quetz for coming back and confirming the facts for the OP. Not everyone is honest enough to do that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I must remember not to post when it's late and I'm tired

I would always rather be correct/corrected than have anyone (incl myself) labour under a mistaken conception.
Life's too short!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Your cool Quetz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search