The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eliminating Hum?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Eliminating Hum?

I can hear audible hum and would like to remove it, I have a Ebtech Hum X but I am not sure what needs to be plugged into the Hum X.

This is my setup EV RE-20 Mic > DBX286s > Clarett 2pre USB > Desktop PC

Which would I plug into the Hum X, would it be the DBX, the Clarett or the power cable coming from my PC through the computers PSU?

All my cables are balanced, everything is plugged into a power strip that has a surge protector and is grounded. I also have two LG monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
You would plug the hardware that is causing the hum. what is causing it? Are you sure its hardware??? Its usually not...
In my opinion, if you are having hum, you should FIX the hum issue and not mask it, as that thing you bought will most likely not cure your hum.

Hum can be cause by hundreds of things. You have to troubleshoot it, to find out what is causing it and then fix it.
You have to replace or take out things until you find the problem.

It can also be that your studio is not grounded. An electrician may be required.
It can be as simple as not using balanced cables for your monitors or as complicated as rewiring your studio.

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 4 weeks ago at 12:59 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would start with the USB/PC part..
Its NOT uncommon to have hum ect with some USB interfaces.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Start debugging by removing as much from your chain as possible. Remove the DBX and one display, then after you start recording unplug the remaining display for a little bit then plug it back in to stop the recording. Unplug any external speakers/audio monitors while recording. This is all a process of elimination that only someone physically present can do since, as pointed out above, any number of things can cause hum. Oh, and turn off all lights within a decent sized radius, some CFL and LED can emit pretty severe EMF. Also, you might need try using an unplugged laptop if you can, basically if your simplified chain still has hum you’ll need to switch things out one at a time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok so I believe this isn't actually hum, it's more like a buzzing sound, sounds like an insect/mosquito or something.

I removed the DBX and connected the mic directly to the clarett. I also turned off the lights and my monitor, took my phone away as well. I have narrowed down the issue to either the mic or the clarett.

Here is the thing though, I tested this on two different clarett USB interfaces, and the same issue happened on both of them. I also tried this using a scarlett and used a LAV mic in a completely different location (this time on my laptop instead of my PC) and I still had the same buzzing sound.

I removed the Focusrite and plugged the mic directly into a sound devices mm-1 and the problem seems to be happening here too, the same buzzing sound. Right now nothing is plugged into an outlet. The MM1 is running on battery too, so it can't be a hum.

Here is a small sample clip, you can hear the buzzing sound (sorry its in untreated room but the buzz is there no matter where I am). It's random too, the buzzing sound will sometimes appear and stay for 20 seconds, then go away and randomly appear.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...67694517134257

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search