The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I feel like I'm going in circles and need help, and don't know how to get it
Old 4 weeks ago
I feel like I'm going in circles and need help, and don't know how to get it

Hi, I've been making electronic music and mixing it for 20 years, and my mixes are still terrible. I can watch hours and hours of tutorials online, and none of them help, because they aren't the mixes I'm working on.

Pretty much every electronic song out there that's pro mixed has this really nice warm, full sound to it. You can hear everything, and everything is so nice and discrete, and everything has it's own space. The songs I admire are not too loud (I hate squashed songs), but they are even louder than mine, and still sound great. I cannot for the life of me recreate this sort of nice warm full sound, and I'm really at the end of my rope. I'm really very frustrated, and I'm losing hope that I can ever figure out what's wrong.

At this point, I doubt anything will help me at all, short of a one-on-one tutoring by a mixer who can listen to my songs, identify what's wrong, and help me fix it. Is there anyone out there who does this? I appreciate anyone's help in this.

Thanks all...
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure and hopr you'll find someone experienced not too far from Philly who'd be willing to help. I'm not at all into electronic music, so not much of a help. And in Germany.
But if after 20 years your mixes still suck, either your mixing environment won't let you make the right decisions (this would start with the recording phase then) or you're just not talented. No offense meant at all, but that's reality quite often. If you wanna churn out great mixes, you need the ears and skills. No one delivers from day one, but those who have it don't take long and the others keep on struggling and/or failing for years. And the latter are in the vast majority. Many manage to fall into some decent middle ground where you're not on super pro level, but get paid a little for solid work because experience and knowledge have compensated a bit for some lack of initial talent.
When you say online tutorials, you mean some random YT dudes or paid (and pro) stuff like PureMix and the like?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatFox View Post
Hi, I've been making electronic music and mixing it for 20 years, and my mixes are still terrible. I can watch hours and hours of tutorials online, and none of them help, because they aren't the mixes I'm working on.

Pretty much every electronic song out there that's pro mixed has this really nice warm, full sound to it. You can hear everything, and everything is so nice and discrete, and everything has it's own space. The songs I admire are not too loud (I hate squashed songs), but they are even louder than mine, and still sound great. I cannot for the life of me recreate this sort of nice warm full sound, and I'm really at the end of my rope. I'm really very frustrated, and I'm losing hope that I can ever figure out what's wrong.

At this point, I doubt anything will help me at all, short of a one-on-one tutoring by a mixer who can listen to my songs, identify what's wrong, and help me fix it. Is there anyone out there who does this? I appreciate anyone's help in this.

Thanks all...
Have you studies music theory? Maybe its your arrangement's or maybe your song writing skills. Maybe it is your mixing skills or maybe its your ears or your room or all the above?
Quote:
I cannot for the life of me recreate this sort of nice warm full sound, and I'm really at the end of my rope.
You need to start with a nice warm sound. This starts in the recording stage, not the mixing stage. This may be your problem or not?
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm in Philly by the phillies stadium and i could tell you in about 20 minutes of sitting with you if you would benefit in learning to mix better or if you are just one of those people who needs a finisher for his projects

PM me
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I'm pretty sure and hopr you'll find someone experienced not too far from Philly who'd be willing to help. I'm not at all into electronic music, so not much of a help. And in Germany.
But if after 20 years your mixes still suck, either your mixing environment won't let you make the right decisions (this would start with the recording phase then) or you're just not talented. No offense meant at all, but that's reality quite often. If you wanna churn out great mixes, you need the ears and skills. No one delivers from day one, but those who have it don't take long and the others keep on struggling and/or failing for years. And the latter are in the vast majority. Many manage to fall into some decent middle ground where you're not on super pro level, but get paid a little for solid work because experience and knowledge have compensated a bit for some lack of initial talent.
When you say online tutorials, you mean some random YT dudes or paid (and pro) stuff like PureMix and the like?
It's definitely possible that I just don't have the skills to mix, but unfortunately I am a hobbyist and I don't have the money to hire someone. I have watched videos on several mixing sites like Proaudiofiles, the Slate bundle classes..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Have you studies music theory? Maybe its your arrangement's or maybe your song writing skills. Maybe it is your mixing skills or maybe its your ears or your room or all the above?

You need to start with a nice warm sound. This starts in the recording stage, not the mixing stage. This may be your problem or not?
My music is all in the box, so there's no tracking involved other than vocals. It could be all of the above.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Got any examples?
Yeah, my latest project is here:
https://greatfox.bandcamp.com/album/...ll-recognition

I did get that project mastered, and I still think the songs sound bad, so it's definitely problems with my mixes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That does not sound bad at all.

The little bit that I listened to seems to be missing some low end, IMHO. Try adding some lows (think 60, 35) to your kick, and/or layering in an 808 sample (or similar).

Also, a low bass (maybe synth) to hold down the groove, and add some low end might help. Like this: (below)

Then, you'll need to explore potential low end compression, multiband compression, ducking, etc.

Cheers.
Attached Files

bass.mp3 (177.3 KB, 352 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatFox View Post
It's definitely possible that I just don't have the skills to mix, but unfortunately I am a hobbyist and I don't have the money to hire someone. I have watched videos on several mixing sites like Proaudiofiles, the Slate bundle classes..
Definitely take advantage of Mike's offer and contact him. I also don't think the example sounds bad. There's room for improvement, sure. But honestly, ain't it always? ;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That does not sound bad at all.

The little bit that I listened to seems to be missing some low end, IMHO. Try adding some lows (think 60, 35) to your kick, and/or layering in an 808 sample (or similar).

Also, a low bass (maybe synth) to hold down the groove, and add some low end might help. Like this: (below)

Then, you'll need to explore potential low end compression, multiband compression, ducking, etc.

Cheers.
Yeah, thanks. My room isn't calibrated, so bass control is definitely an issue, even when I compare to reference tracks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Definitely take advantage of Mike's offer and contact him. I also don't think the example sounds bad. There's room for improvement, sure. But honestly, ain't it always? ;-)
Thanks.

Yeah I PM'd him. Waiting for a reply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

In addition to what was said I'd offer the following consideration;

I know you want it to sound as good as possible, but you should also recall that a lot of music is functional to people. When I clicked on your link I didn't read the song title and did a double-take when I heard the lyrics. So to me then what you created is in large part functional - meaning I suppose it's there to make people think or simply to shock them... or make them laugh... and for those purposes it sounds fine. Far, far worse mixes have been quite successful commercially I'd say.

So, yes, strive to improve, but it really doesn't sound bad to my ears, and it seems to do its job (i.e. I either chuckled, got shocked, or started thinking about.. well... "things")…

-------

Do we need "nsfw" disclaimers for links?...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i went thru mixes other than subjective stuff you are in the ball park man
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i went thru mixes other than subjective stuff you are in the ball park man
Thanks. I'm just trying to get those extra things that are hard to describe, but you know it when you hear it. You know?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
In addition to what was said I'd offer the following consideration;

I know you want it to sound as good as possible, but you should also recall that a lot of music is functional to people. When I clicked on your link I didn't read the song title and did a double-take when I heard the lyrics. So to me then what you created is in large part functional - meaning I suppose it's there to make people think or simply to shock them... or make them laugh... and for those purposes it sounds fine. Far, far worse mixes have been quite successful commercially I'd say.

So, yes, strive to improve, but it really doesn't sound bad to my ears, and it seems to do its job (i.e. I either chuckled, got shocked, or started thinking about.. well... "things")…

-------

Do we need "nsfw" disclaimers for links?...
Thanks for the feedback. Should have warned about that first track, it's a bit cheeky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not knowing what your final vision is, put s me at a disadvantage but if you know what bothers YOU...and can show in tangential music what you percieve then I could be of some help.. to me your issue is more of a subjective thing not bad mixing objectively speaking

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search