The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
weird high end noise in my recorded voice
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

weird high end noise in my recorded voice

I have recently purchased a whole bunch of studio gear, mainly an akg c214 condensor mic and an Audient iD14, with these running into logic pro x.

I tried to record some of my voice and noticed something odd coming through.
Was wondering if someone could help me out here.

I have attached a short clip of the recording (please excuse the average singing).
Attached Files

voice test.mp3 (172.9 KB, 144 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Not average, i would say above average

I do not know how your voice 'should' sound, but to me it sounds like your voice is a little phasy.
Have you ever heard your voice before in a recording?

How are you recording and routing your recording signal. Maybe you are capturing it twice (loop) and this will give you a phasy effect. List your entire signal chain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 214 isn't particularly the greatest sounding mic on vocals to begin with imo. From what I remember, there's a bump of some sort between like 10 and 12 kHz. Seems as if they were going for a brighter sound with more 'high end sheen' but I personally feel like it exaggerates the high end of your recording space as well. Check out the c2000 series, the 2000B in particular. Great mic for the price and I'd bet it'd sound great on your voice
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

High pitched ring in vocal recording?
This guy had high end ringing with vocal recording and with chords too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Might be caused by poor recording room/environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post

I do not know how your voice 'should' sound, but to me it sounds like your voice is a little phasy.

How are you recording and routing your recording signal. Maybe you are capturing it twice (loop) and this will give you a phasy effect. List your entire signal chain.
This is quite possible
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post

I have recorded my voice before, it was again with an akg c214 and it definitely sounded better that this. That was with an apogee duet though, so not sure how much difference that would make.

my signal chain is:
AKG C214->Audient iD14 (XLR)-> Logic Pro X on imac (USB)-> headphones (through the interface)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
my signal chain is:
AKG C214->Audient iD14 (XLR)-> Logic Pro X on imac (USB)-> headphones (through the interface)
It says you are connecting your headphones via USB and not through your audio interface. Firs thing i would do is connect headphones and studio monitors to your audio interface, not USB. You might be having ground loop issues because of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Its resonance in your room from what I hear. Pop a duvet over a mic stand set up like a big "T" at your back or behind the mic (or both) to soak up any stray sound waves.
Goodluck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search