The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shure SM58 with M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Shure SM58 with M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Hi I have had the m-audio fast track pro for a long time now. I decided to grab a SM58 mic. However, it is super super quiet even with my gain turned all the way up.

Are these two compatible with each other? I am using this as a streaming setup. Is there anything I can do to counteract the low input or do I have to return this mic?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
If I found correct specs for the fast track pro, it has a maximum preamp gain of only 40 db. That is not enough gain for a Shure 58 on most sources. That is very low gain for many dynamic mics.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Sorry, didn’t address your other questions... there isn’t a very affordable way to get enough gain. A Cloudlifter or Fethead cost about as much as your mic, and they still may not add enough gain.
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hey thanks man. I think I will just return the mic.

Would only condensers work? It does have phantom power

For streaming/youtube, would you recommend just ditching my itnerface and going with a usb mic? I feel since I have an interface already, a XLR input might be better
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Most condensers would have enough gain with your interface. I know nothing about podcasts, so I don’t know what mics are commonly used.
Old 13th September 2019
If you want a good mic for podcasting, the Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic is a great choice. Its under $250
The Snowball Ice Condenser Mic is awesome also and is under $50
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
The newer black NT-1 is a better mic for most voices than the NT-1a. It is less harsh and less peaky in the sibilance range.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

You have a couple choices:

1) Get a new interface
2) Get a preamp

The M-Audio interfaces are ... not great. As pointed out by others, the FastTrack devices don't have enough gain for unpowered condenser mics, but adding something like an ART TubeMP/StudioV3 or a Presonus BlueTube would pair well with your M-Audio interface and provide enough gain for the SM58.

These can be had on eBay/ShopGoodwill/Reverb for ~$30 (I paid $9 for my TubeMP, $41 for the StudioV3 and $36 for my stereo BlueTube on shopgoodwill)
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
Yeah,
I owned a few Tube MPs at one time. They are “not awful” cheap gain.
But you need to consider whether stringing together some “not awful” devices to get the gain you need is the best solution. And it may be. Unlike most GS posters, you aren’t trying to record a great vocal for a standout song, you need a decent-sounding podcast. The SM58 is a good mic that doesn’t pick up your room and neighborhood, so you may want to work out a solution that includes it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
If I found correct specs for the fast track pro, it has a maximum preamp gain of only 40 db. That is not enough gain for a Shure 58 on most sources. That is very low gain for many dynamic mics.
Hey, sorry if I sound stupid, but if theres not enough preamp gain, is the only consequence low db levels on my audio? Can i use a gain in my audio software to boost it? Or does this method cause 'dirty gains" instead of clean ones through the use of a preamp
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuppeop0le View Post
Hey, sorry if I sound stupid, but if theres not enough preamp gain, is the only consequence low db levels on my audio? Can i use a gain in my audio software to boost it? Or does this method cause 'dirty gains" instead of clean ones through the use of a preamp
You don’t sound stupid... it’s a perfectly reasonable question.
First, if you turn this preamp all the way up (to get the max 40db of preamp gain), there is no guarantee that the last ten or fifteen db of that gain will not be really noisy. There are very few preamps that are not very noisy when turned all the way up. You have to try it and see how noisy it is when maxed out.
Second part of your question... you can use digital gain (in your software) to bring a signal way up in level. Most pros wouldn’t be very comfortable with this approach because your initial digital capture might be 50 or 60 db below the usual capture level. It is very odd. In fact so odd that I’m not sure whether it would compromise the audio in some way or not.
Again, you have the gear, try it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search