The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustic panels mobile recording
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Head

Acoustic panels mobile recording

Hi,

I want to start recording in some different rooms and places, but most of these rooms and places are not acoustically treated. I have 4 acoustic panels which I can take with me and place in the room to help the sound.

Where would you recommend placing these panels when recording drums? Also when recording acoustic guitar and just all instruments in general.

Should they be around the room or close to the player, behind the player? Above the drums on the ceiling or behind the drums? Etc etc

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Guru

it depends on so many things

first of all are you recording these instruments as overdubs or with a live band? If everyone is live you might be best off using the panels more as "gobos" than to absorb sound

Quote:
I have 4 acoustic panels which I can take with me and place in the room to help the sound.
4 panels is not a lot of panels. Especially in a big room. Especially if you spread them out. I would say keep them close. It will help the sound, but how much will depend on the room and the panels themselves. How thick are they? If they are 4" panels, you could straddle the corners and use them as bass traps. If they are only 2" panels they probably are not going to do much bass trapping, but might be good absorbing some early reflections.

Quote:
Should they be around the room or close to the player, behind the player? Above the drums on the ceiling or behind the drums? Etc etc
if you had more panels you could do all of those things. So you will have to make an assessment of where they will be most effective. This is going to vary from space to space as well as instrument to instrument.

For drums, I think behind and above the drums might a good place to start. My instinct would be to keep them close to where the mics are. For most things spreading them out around room seems like a waste - unless the "sound in the room" (distant miking) is what you are going for. If you are close-miking, a panel all the way across on the other side of the room will hardly make a difference.

Quote:
Also when recording acoustic guitar
If the room is nice, you might want some bright reflections on an acoustic guitar, so maybe no panels or spread them out across the room

My best suggestion is to get there early and try some of your ideas. Except for hanging one over the drums, it won't take long for you to reposition four panels to other spots and to a quick test recording.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Only way for this to work is to get a pair of headphones, get a 10 foot headphone extension and monitor the sound your getting with the panels, mic, or musician in different locations.
That's what I'd do.
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
Where would you recommend placing these panels when recording drums? Also when recording acoustic guitar and just all instruments in general.

There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on many many variables in the room. Its trial and error. you need to try different set ups and decide what you like the best and what is best for that specific room you are in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search