The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making a Phone Call on YouTube Talk Show-Analog Old School
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Making a Phone Call on YouTube Talk Show-Analog Old School

I have a YouTube talk show and I’m trying to recreate the old school late night television vibe of calling someone on the air. Meaning, I have an old analog phone and I want to be able to hear the dialing, ringing and answer, in the room, over the small studio PA I have....while also recording it internally - Exactly like this clip of David Letterman at the 8:37 mark:
https://youtu.be/RFegUeC_wdo
I have analog phone plugged into a Gentner DH20 phone interface, running into a Mackie 16 channel mixing board, into an 8 channel audio interface, going into my laptop running Audition. Going into the board I’ve got my desk mic, 2 guest lav’s, and the phone line (mix minus).
The problem I run into, is that I can’t engage phone interface until the call is underway - missing the dial tone and dialing.
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I appreciate any advice!
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioAndTV69 View Post
I have a YouTube talk show and I’m trying to recreate the old school late night television vibe of calling someone on the air. Meaning, I have an old analog phone and I want to be able to hear the dialing, ringing and answer, in the room, over the small studio PA I have....while also recording it internally - Exactly like this clip of David Letterman at the 8:37 mark:
I have analog phone plugged into a Gentner DH20 phone interface, running into a Mackie 16 channel mixing board, into an 8 channel audio interface, going into my laptop running Audition. Going into the board I’ve got my desk mic, 2 guest lav’s, and the phone line (mix minus).
The problem I run into, is that I can’t engage phone interface until the call is underway - missing the dial tone and dialing.

Hello. WC GS.

The kit in the video is currently unavailable and many models do not ship into the country. There is a link below the YT URL to check out.

Some options are direct, some are to be used with laptops.

https://youtu.be/haXL7YKp2Ho

https://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Rec.../dp/B00T45CTKG

*Warning Recording is Awesome*

Make sure you look into section 12 and 14 of copyright acts if you plan to pursue further than YouTube. Also DMCA Act and some type of legal waivers. Privacy Policy for EU and California. A sweet microphone flag is a must.

Happy successes.

***if in the usa***
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioAndTV69 View Post
A broadcast phone hybrid or interface won't do that. You would need to something that "eavesdrops" on the line, but does not load the line enough to seize it. Also, a device that goes between the handset and the phone would work, such as suggested by Amsoily.

Be aware that the phone line audio will also include your voice. In the Letterman clips, you can hear the mixer pulling down the phone return when Dave talks.

If you have not done so already, do consult with an attorney. Many, if not most countries, including USA, have stringent communication and privacy regulations about this sort of thing. In his Broadcast Law Blog, attorney David Oxenford has written about this a number of times, for example here and here.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventil View Post
A broadcast phone hybrid or interface won't do that. You would need to something that "eavesdrops" on the line, but does not load the line enough to seize it. Also, a device that goes between the handset and the phone would work, such as suggested by Amsoily.

Be aware that the phone line audio will also include your voice. In the Letterman clips, you can hear the mixer pulling down the phone return when Dave talks.

If you have not done so already, do consult with an attorney. Many, if not most countries, including USA, have stringent communication and privacy regulations about this sort of thing. In his Broadcast Law Blog, attorney David Oxenford has written about this a number of times, for example here and here.
Very wise, very true. Stay legal.

If a functioning visual prop was needed, I would gut the lan phone and put a cheap mart device inside with Smartline acount on it. Id run the output to a bord and the data cable to mirror the screen. The ring tone would be set to a vintage ringtone or bell.

If I was to do this at home I'd use a Wmart phone or my own with a Gdaddy Smartline app and just keep it on my desk. If I wanted it to apear I was on the lan line, I'd run an audio output splitter into the Lan phone, to the earpiece. But... the audio would come out of your monitors.

Samsung are cool decices, so many others ditching the 1/8 cable.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Might enjoy this info.
Phone Talkback System

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search