The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
is Gullfoss helpful for beginners?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

is Gullfoss helpful for beginners?

As a beginner, I typically add some EQ to my masters and still they just don't have the clarity or character I'm searching for. I want to try Gullfoss, but I see there are no presets. And though experienced producers always say "just use your ears," I'm nowhere near simply getting by on my ears. I actually do learn a ton from studying presets.

So—as a beginner, is playing with settings like "Recover" and "Tame" going to be instructive enough? Will Gullfoss give me enough of a baseline idea of what I'm trying to accomplish or will it be no more helpful than just using the Channel EQ in Logic?

Also is there a shortcut kind of "analyser" in Gullfoss that will use the AI to add the settings it thinks I need or is it still all about manually tweaking settings until it sounds right?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deern View Post
As a beginner, I typically add some EQ to my masters and still they just don't have the clarity or character I'm searching for. I want to try Gullfoss, but I see there are no presets. And though experienced producers always say "just use your ears," I'm nowhere near simply getting by on my ears. I actually do learn a ton from studying presets.
If you consider trying Gullfoss, you should just do it. Avoiding it because it doesn't have presets really does not make much sense. Gullfoss has been designed to work with simple parameters. And you will be able to use your ears to judge the result, because the parameters are much more natural and well-behaving than for your average plugin.

Also, moving away from using presets is probably the biggest single step you can make to advance your skills. In my opinion it's only a lack of confidence and the fear of making a mistake that keeps you from becoming a much better engineer. Presets are often misleading and even when they are provided and their name suggests applicability to your situation, they are usually not usable without tweaking. And they keep you from learning how to listen and from understanding what's really going on. For this reason, Soundtheory will avoid shipping presets also in the future and instead design tools that are easy and intuitive to use and that encourage experimentation.

Quote:
So—as a beginner, is playing with settings like "Recover" and "Tame" going to be instructive enough? Will Gullfoss give me enough of a baseline idea of what I'm trying to accomplish or will it be no more helpful than just using the Channel EQ in Logic?
I strongly believe so. But to see if that works for you there's no other way than trying it.

Quote:
Also is there a shortcut kind of "analyser" in Gullfoss that will use the AI to add the settings it thinks I need or is it still all about manually tweaking settings until it sounds right?
No. We've considered a fully automatic mode that generates a good starting point for the parameters, but we've decided against it. Most users already have a problem handing over dynamic EQ changes to a smart algorithm. So the decision was mostly based on psychology.

If you find that you'll need more time to try Gullfoss, let me know. We'll happily extend the trial period by another 14 days or more.

Andreas
Soundtheory
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

I have it and it's excellent.

If you understand the basics of equalisation then this tool is invaluable. Like all dynamic processors it has a learning curve but it's not steep and if you have a handle on EQ then it's actually quite easy to use.

Presets are helpful as starting points for beginners but I am not sure Gullfoss sits in that category.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to just give the trial a shot.

One thing I've been trying to understand: I've heard it referred to as "AI" or smart EQ. But if you're doing everything manual, what is the AI/smart part? I just wasn't sure from a technology angle.
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
I typically add some EQ to my masters and still they just don't have the clarity or character I'm searching for.
If you have to be editing your masters and your masters do not sound the way you want them to sound, then they were not ready to be mastered. Go back to the mixing stage and mix it until it is clear and has the character you want.
Quote:
I want to try Gullfoss, but I see there are no presets.
Thats a good thing. Presets were not made for your mixes and tracks. You should always start form zero and set every plugin according to your source track and how you want it to sound.
The person making presets never had your mixes in mind. Just set it up until it sounds the way you want it to sound.
Quote:
Manually tweaking every plugin is the only way to dial in the sounds you need.
There are no shortcuts with a graph that will add what you need.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deern View Post
Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to just give the trial a shot.

One thing I've been trying to understand: I've heard it referred to as "AI" or smart EQ. But if you're doing everything manual, what is the AI/smart part? I just wasn't sure from a technology angle.
This refers more to it being an adaptive equaliser in that it scans the audio and makes what it feels are the right changes based on a number of criteria that the user inputs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search