The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Positioning of mics in near coincident pairs
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Positioning of mics in near coincident pairs

So, I'm using my new Line Audio CM4s on drums on overhead duties. Really nice mics to use, small, light, unobtrusive. It so happens that they're small enough that the cables are more of a hindrance than the mics themselves. I've set them up in a near coincident pair (not as wide as ORTF but not as close as XY).

The thing is, it's much more convenient to position the left-facing mic to the right and viceversa, so that the two capsules are actually "flipped" (as if our ears pointed inwards, sort of). I don't hear any strangeness going on, and my experience tells me that even though it should be wrong on paper (the time differences are "reversed" so the spacing might have a weird depth), it shouldn't matter much. Thoughts?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone? Now that you have an actually interesting query for once you're snubbing me? Pffft!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetrosillo View Post
The thing is, it's much more convenient to position the left-facing mic to the right and viceversa, so that the two capsules are actually "flipped" (as if our ears pointed inwards, sort of). I don't hear any strangeness going on, and my experience tells me that even though it should be wrong on paper (the time differences are "reversed" so the spacing might have a weird depth), it shouldn't matter much. Thoughts?
I've done something similar. Except I would place the capsules closer together to reduce the interchannel delay. You might even put one above the other to get them as coincident as possible. As you say, the time difference stereo image would be reversed to the intensity stereo image.

With this arrangement, as with other coincident, or near coincident, stereo techniques, a lot depends on the accuracy and matching of the two mics, especially the off-axis response. I've never used Line 6 mics, so I cannot speak to that. Are they a matched pair?

Last edited by ventil; 4 weeks ago at 03:11 AM.. Reason: missing word and punctuation
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
actually "flipped" (as if our ears pointed inwards, sort of). I don't hear any strangeness going on, and my experience tells me that even though it should be wrong on paper (the time differences are "reversed" so the spacing might have a weird depth), it shouldn't matter much. Thoughts?
Always go with the end result and not what some paper says.
If those positions get you the sound, then who cares what the paper says it should be. There are no absolutes in recording, so what some paper says what is right and wrong doesn't matter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
There are no absolutes in recording
Including the statement that there are no absolutes in recording?
Old 4 weeks ago
You're correct that the time and intensity cues are in conflict. It might be hard to discern this when multi-miking a drum kit because there are lots of other contradictory time cues happening. But if you did this for a simple stereo pair, I think you'd hear the difference. BTW, you can model the imaging of your array using the Schoeps Image Assistant tool.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventil View Post
I've done something similar. Except I would place the capsules closer together to reduce the interchannel delay. You might even put one above the other to get them as coincident as possible. As you say, the time difference stereo image would be reversed to the intensity stereo image.

With this arrangement, as with other coincident, or near coincident, stereo techniques, a lot depends on the accuracy and matching of the two mics, especially the off-axis response. I've never used Line 6 mics, so I cannot speak to that. Are they a matched pair?
They're not explicitly matched, because the manufacturer guarantees consistency among models (supposedly he selects capsules within tight tolerances). Anyway I could go with an easy XY setup, but I do like the added depth of near-coincident setups.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if you want outstanding phase coherence, you better use a coincident mic system for overheads (and align all signals to the this system) - but there are endless other ways to achieve very pleasing results! use what sounds good...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search